anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Sole

Post by Phillb » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:39 am

Hi guys
I was thinking about trying to catch some sole when I’m down at selsey in a week. What types of rigs and bait would you recommend.
Thanks
Phil

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

Re: Sole

Post by mrix » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 am

Blimey its been a long time since I last caught sole but for me it was always a 3 hook flapper rig with size 2 hooks and small worm baits, sole in my area would come in very close to the shore, not sure about Selsey as I have never fished there.
Best of luck and please keep us updated how your get on ::g
Thanks
mrix

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 am

A bit early for sole in my experience, I go for them from September - November. It has to be after dark and a sandy/muddy bottom, preferably where you can see plenty of worm casts at low water. Don't know of any around Selsey but the Witterings may produce. Never strike or you will lose them, wait until they hook themselves then just reel in. How then do you know you are on? It will start with a few little trembles of the rod tip but you must resist the temptation to strike. After a minute or two the little trembles will turn into a more vigorous action - indicating that Mr Sole has got himself hooked. I have always done best at neap tides using lugworm.

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:01 am

Hi Eccles
What sort of rigs do you use. I’ve been reading a few blogs that suggest making sure your bait doesn’t move around. The use of extra weights on the snoods to keep them anchored. I was wondering what your experience was.
Thanks
Phil

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:34 am

Absolutely right to keep bait still. Sole is a slow moving fish and patters over the seabed until he finds that worm which he then begins to suck in (hence the "little trembles"). After experimenting for a couple of years I came up with rig which makes sure the worm doesn't move much but sole can still tug at it without feeling much resistence: 1. Put four or five biggish shot on the snood say two or three inches back from the hook, even so the snood should be quite short. 2. Use one of those sliding sinker holders (the line slider is usually red plastic) such that the line can slide at least a foot before it comes up to your main line connector. 3. After casting, first tighten up as usual then let the main line loosen slightly (so that the slider can actually slide a tad). There is no point in my opinion in trying to use more than one hook/bait, sole are good sniffers and will find the worm if they are anywhere near it plus it is difficult to make the rig I have outlined with more than one snood. Also remember what I said about neap tides - sole are not strong swimmers and can't really handle the sort of currents that a spring tide produces.

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for the advice Eccles.
I’m down that way all next. I think all the tides next week are neaps. So I’ll be definitely giving it ago.
Cheers
Phil