Polruan and nearby

anything South West sea fishing related here
Stee61

Polruan and nearby

Post by Stee61 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 am

Hi All,

Im off for a long weekend in a months time to Polruan and I was after a bit of advice or guidance.

My sea fishing experience is limited to say the least (oxford is quite far from the coast and there is far too much quality freshwater fishing in the area :) ) so I havnt got a bloomin' clue what I should be targetting, and with what. Maybe by revealing what tackle I have available might help someone point me towards a plan of attack.

I have any number of rods from light quiver tips to heavy carp/pike rods and everything in between. I was going to hedge my bets and take an 11ft avon/light carp rod and a reel loaded with 10lb line and maybe something a bit longer and pokier with a 15lb line.

But then what do I do?? Im not after any records, but catching a few fish would be nice. So, what species represents my best bet in the Polruan area in early december also bearing in mind the limitations of my tackle?

Also, can anyone recommend a good tackle shop in the region as well to pop into when I get down there for bait/up to date gen.

Any advice gratefully recieved,

regards

Stuart

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:08 am

Hi mate, Can't be specific about Cornwall but:
1. Most of us use 15 - 20lb line, 10lb is not really heavy enough for sea conditions.
2. You are likely to do far better after dark and near high tide (start about 2 hours b4 HW.
3. Best all round hook sizes are 1 or 1/0.
4. December is getting near the end of the season for most species but you could still find the bass and more likely whiting, cod or dabs - a box of frozen squid from a tackle shop is cheap and an all round bait this time of year.
5. Unless you can find some deep water somewhere, daytime fishing will be largely a waste of time.

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi stee61,

I went there on holiday in the summer and had some good fishing in fowey, just down from the car ferry on the old slipway. I was using flapper rigs with mackeral. Theres a good tackle shop in st austall called " lowen-chy and angling. The old lady there was very helpful.

Good luck mate

Phil

Stee61

Post by Stee61 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Many thanks for the replies chaps, even if I dont catch, a few hours spent fishing is never a few hours wasted.