rig advice

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

rig advice

Post by stillsy »

having tried shop bought wishbone rigs with some success I tried making my own having lost the originals

no matter how I tie them I find every wind in they are so tangled that its quicker to change rigs & cast out than ot is to sort out the mess

any suggestions welcomed

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

have a look at moonfleet angling

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

These problems often occur for three main reasons:
1. Hook snoods are made too long. Around 30 cms is perfectly long enough for most purposes and "long flowing traces" are only really for boat fishing or live baits with single hooks.
2. Snoods are made with thin line which easily wraps around other parts of the rig. I always use 20lb Amnesia these days.
3. Ther should be some device which allows snoods to rotate around the main body of the rig without becoming entangled in it.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Follow the advice Eccles gave. To add if you are using a long trace consider a up and over approach. Have your crimp and swivel near the weight and put a clip upside down a few feet above. Then run your trace line up to the clip and back around to your weight. Using a bait shield above the weight to clip into is ideal. Using 20lb amnesia is ideal as Eccles said. Making your own rigs and catching from them is a lot better reward then purchasing from these rig companies ;)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Wishbones do tend to tangle - difficult to avoid completely. I wonder whether there is really much to be gained from using them at all. There are some fussy rigs out there, some of which I've played with myself, but I doubt whether there is much gained over a straightforward paternoster.

Snagger

Rigs

Post by Snagger »

I have seen wishbone type rigs mad using a wire boom with a hook at each

end of the boom and the link to main line in the middle, they would not be any

good for distance casting as no way of clipping them down,

Tim B-) .

Ps:- I think it is more of a boat rig.

bucko
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bucko »

I make mine with a Gemini wire boom going out from the rig body then slide a 20mm length of silicon tube on to the boom, open the eye of the boom attach a swivel, close the eye and pull the silicon up to the swivel to keep it straight.
Use 20lb Amnesia keep the length at 6 inches each side to the hook.
This makes a big reduction to the tangles and keeps the baits on the bottom.
And it can be clipped down into a bait shield or 2 imps rigged one above the other.