cooking your dabs

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

cooking your dabs

Post by aston74 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm

get your freshly caught dab
rip his head off
remove guts ( leaving roe in place )
fry in hot oil 2 mins each side
scoff

yummeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Why waste oil Aston? I just grill mine, take the skin off then add a sprinkle of salt and lemon juice. Incidently they are best left in the fridge for 24 hours or so as it seems to improve the flavour.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:22 pm

I dont know anything about cooking dabs, but im guessing i know a man who does, We have a new member on board, and hes a chef. Methinks it might be worth picking his brains. ;) ;)

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:28 pm

eccles wrote:Why waste oil Aston? I just grill mine, take the skin off then add a sprinkle of salt and lemon juice. Incidently they are best left in the fridge for 24 hours or so as it seems to improve the flavour.
noooooooooooooooooooooo
the skin goes crispy and is lovely

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:55 pm

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 pm

joliroger wrote:ANY HELP ????...... http://fishcooking.about.com/od/meetyou ... rofile.htm
cheers joli
i still like my method

on the above link you posted, see how our american cousins guy a sanddab

THEY THROW HALF THE BLEEDIN FISH AWAY !!!!!!!!

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Dabs are a surperb fish to eat. I recently done a whitng and dab fish pie.

Quick fish pie

2-3 Dabs
2 whiting(or any other fish to be honest)
1 tin of sweetcorn
1 tin of peas
Milk
Potatoes

Prepare the fish(dab) by filleting from the centre out(no need to remove head)score a line from the top to bottom and carefully run the knife along the bones and part the flesh that way. Round fish start from the head down, dont worry about the skin that comes later ;)

Get your peas and sweetcorn and put them in a pot. Next peel your spuds and put them in a pan for the boil. Whilst thats all on Preheat the oven to 170c and place all the fillets in a baking tray. Next pour the milk over the fillets untill they are nearly covered. This will take about 10/15 mins in the oven so whilst that is waiting feel free to boil some potates ready for mashing. After 10/15 mins the skin will be falling off the fish. Now it is up to you guys and to save typing i use this next http://southernfood.about.com/cs/saucer ... auceht.htm . Use the milk from the fish pan to make the sauce and maybe add a small amount of cheese in with it too. Using a fork seperate the meat from the skin and place in a oven dish with the peas and sweetcorn. Add the white sauce and cover with mashed potato. Put in the oven at 180c for 20 mins and hey presto quick fish pie. ;)

Now you can use just dabs but i tend to put round fish in as dab fillets dont give a lot of meat unless you got a fair few of them.

Hope that helps ;)

RotundGent

Post by RotundGent » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:41 pm

I prefer Dabs fried in butter,much nicer than oil!