!!help needed!!

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

!!help needed!!

Post by phatboy »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Why bother mate? Also do you understand that casting with a level wind doesn't work very well? Personally I use a cheap Okuma level wind on the boat which has served me well and a Diawa FS from the beach, ditto.

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

thx for that eccles
no i didnt realise that a levelwind would hinder my casting.
it will be mainly for the yak but i wanted something which could be used from the beach as well.
ive been looking at a few of the okuma reels for use off the kayak i might just pick 1 up to use for now.
ive been offered my m8s old battered 7ht which ive already used so i might take him up on it and just take it out with my spare rod next time i go out and keep practicing until i master it. if not ill stick with the FS.
cheers
Phill

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Well mate, I suppose you could use a baitcaster multiplier for fishing from the boat as well but it's not something I would do or most folk come to that. Having said that, I don't personally use a baitcaster multi on the beach for two reasons: 1. As I do often do beach fishing at night I can't be bothered to get the hang of multi-casting in darkness at my age.
2. I much prefer the faster retrieve rate that one gets with a FS reel.

I would add if it helps that most folk soon acquire a collection of rods and reels for various purposes and I am no exception - probably got at least six rods and a similar number of reels. A lot of folk have many more and I would recommend that you have at least two of each kind of reel just to get the experience of using and abusing them LOL.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I accept what RW has said about me, he is right but I remain unconvinced. A few years ago I made a few attempts at using a multi to cast but soon gave up, hence I don't know much about the subject. However, I continue to catch fish fairly regularly and thus my "why bother" opening remark.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal choice. I myself us both Multiplers and fixed spools.

Most people find my type of fishing very unconventioal in the fact that I use what are now described as light boat reels for beachcasting namely Abu 7500s.

All people can do is advise you but the choice is yours and yours alone, my advise is to fish with what suits you and what you feel comfortable with.

I have also used Okuma boat reels for shore fishing when from the shore.

I have used fixed spools on a boat when flattie bashing as I said very unconventional but I still catch fish.

There will always be a difference of opinion and that is why god gave us the power to chose for ourselves.

The point I'm trying to make although it may come over badly is, not to rely on others all the time for their opinion, buy what makes you happy, and remember fishing is suposed to be fun, not a science. Ask my kids they can beat me with a bloody handline.
Cheers
keith :D :D

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

thx for the advice guys
ive decided to have my m8s 7ht and practice casting and retrieving with a second rod next time i go out. if i can get the hang of it from the beach then ill invest in 1 to use from the yak (not sure about levelwind yet, ill see how i get on).
practice makes perfect :D.
cheers
Phill

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The levelwind is there for a purpose and that is to put line on level, this is especially good for the uninitiated. You can of course remove this, but without the conversion kit removing the bar will seriously weaken the reel.
Cheers
keith :D :D

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

" at some point in your early life you ditched crawling on all fours and got yourself up and walking "

that was because we needed to..... there is no need for the great majority to learn to use a multiplier...

same as juggling, nice if you can do it, you can impress people who are easily impressed, and pat yourself on the back that you have mastered a new skill but in the grand scheme of things you could have spent the time far better by going fishing, not casting.

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Multis can't retrieve fast? :-/ Are you using it right? You should see the speed I can bring a rig back in up and over rocks.. it'd rival most fixed spools I can assure you that.

I haven't been using multis for long(less than 6 months) but I can say right now with utmost confidence...I won't use a fixed spool again. They just feel too big, unbalanced and...well clumsy. They can make a good rod feel awful!

When I first got a multiplier I was wary about the line lay more than anything..but to be honest you don't have to lay it as neat as you think. Yeah it's got to be reasonably tidy but I think perfect line lay is something that fixed spools need and multis don't.

Using a multi in the night is no problem because after a few tidy sessions you can hear the spool slowing down and you get to know when to stop it.

Some people don't get on with them I guess but..I'm on the positive multi side[/i]