Dogfish skin

Please add any Sea Food recipes you may have here.
andiroo
Occasional
Occasional

Dogfish skin

Post by andiroo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi all

What is the best way to skin a doggie?

also any decent recipies out there?

andi

h4ppy-chris

Post by h4ppy-chris » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 pm

have a look at this

skuffa
Regular
Regular

Post by skuffa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Hammer a nail through the head into a wooden board, score the skin around the head and rip downwards toward the tail from the dorsal fin..

bispham_lad

Post by bispham_lad » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 am

Hi Andy, the way i do it is to put some boiling water in to a baking dish and place the doggy in for about 30 seconds & the skin just rubs off like sand. Est

SAXONLION

Post by SAXONLION » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:51 am

Watch the video above..it it made to look so easy..lol...
In my VAST experience in cooking fish ...You have to skin them before they die ASAP
Sorry BisphamLad but NEVER use hot water...
As you know its a member of the Shark family..and they have a lot of Ammonia in the skin....If you use hot water your gonna end up with a ruined piece of stinky fish flesh.
As far as i know the best way to cook Doggie is to roast it with some Med Veg or Pan fry or Grill...No point in putting it into a wet recipe as it just breaks down to nothing. Dry or Hot and fast thats the best way.

hagwag

Re: Dogfish skin

Post by hagwag » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:09 am

andiroo wrote:Hi all

What is the best way to skin a doggie?

also any decent recipies out there?

andi
pliers and lots of effort!

If eating best way to cook is chunk it then dunk in a flour/cayenne pepper mix and fry.

Doesn't really taste of much unless it's a little old or been skinned a fair bit after it's killed. Then it's gross!

ciderfisher

Post by ciderfisher » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:53 pm

After loosing half the skin on my thumbs :(( and trying to pull the skin off using pliers I decided to use the boiling water method.

Remove the Fins, pour the boiling water over the fish quickly so as not to cook the fish :-O. Then run the edge of a knife over the skin and watch it fall away easily. Wash off the remnants of the skin and cook straight away. :)

I had no problems with Ammonia from the skin at all. So much easier than crucifying the poor fish. :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:55 pm

You can also cut all the belly, fins and guts out ( tail to gills) then fillet as you would a mackerel and skin with the knife. Only worth doing on large dogfish or the fillets are too thin and keep a sharpening stone handy as this method blunts the knife really quickly.

richcherr

Post by richcherr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:48 am

hello,

all the skinning techniques quoted should work but i would use the pliers and nail technique myself (like skinning a freshwater eel). dogfish really does taste good i think and because of the lack of bones its a good way to get kids eating fish. i like to curry it myself (any type of indian curry or thai curry). any monkfish recipe should work also. make sure you trim off any membrane left after the skinning like a butcher (ask one) would 'silver trim' a beef, pork or lamb fillet to remove sinew. this removes the membrane that causes the flesh to curl and tighten when cooking. like a steak always cut the fish against the grain. you can also 'bat' the cut sections of the fillet with a steak hammer, or the flat side of a cleaver to tenderise if you want to flash fry flesh.

all the best

rich.c

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 am

Ok ive done the nail in the head bit,found that a stanley knife is best for cutting skin,ok finned and skinned even filleted off central bone,got some very nice fillets,its the "silver trim"all i done was run up the sides of doggy and just cut said offending sinews and bits,is there an easier way,cos my way is a pain in the bum

richcherr

Post by richcherr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am

hello andy,

its just a knife skills issue mate, will get easier with time. its a bit difficult to explain online. theres another ex-chef on here that will tell you the same. you have done all the hard work now and have some prime flesh similar to monksh that would have cost you a fortune in the shops. there is a bloke on here, on one of the seafood recipe threads who has done some video demonstrations and given the link in one of his threads.

can you let me know how the cooking goes, what are you intending to cook?

cheers

rich.c

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I use the nail through the head trick dry the skin out and wrap around a small piece of wood just as good as any shop bought sandpaper :)