Rigs for this time of year..Chapel/Cleethorpes/Huttoft/beach

All topics in this forum will be related to sea fishing for the Disabled.
mabmickyoneleg

Rigs for this time of year..Chapel/Cleethorpes/Huttoft/beach

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 am

As a newbie to beach fishing I`d like some advice please. I`m in the process of tying a load of rigs up. As I have mentioned in another post I`m disabled and somewhat limited as to where I`m going to fish. I intend to get as many hours in as possible this coming year before the damned surgeons get hold of me again, so obviously I want to give myself the best chance possible. For the remainder of the colder months I`ve tied a load of 3 hook flappers on a 50lb main body using 20lb snoods and size two hooks. For the warmer months with smoothound and bass in mind I`ve tied up some pulley rigs both pennel and single hooks again 50lb main body, 30lb snoods, for the pennels 1/0 and 2`s aberdeens and the single hook rigs 1/0 aberdeens. Before I`ve tied too many rigs up I`d like to know I`m heading in the right direction

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 am

Pulley rigs are what I tend to use for the hounds but I run the 40/50lb all the way through the rig to help stop a crack off, 30lb snood puts a weak link in the rig.

DAZ B-)

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 am

Sorry should of added that I use a running ledger when a long cast is not needed with some great results :D

mabmickyoneleg

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:49 am

Many thanks Daz, you can`t get much simpler than a straight running ledger eh. Talking about distance, is there any rule of thumb at the venues I`ve outlined? I`m still capable of hitting 100yds+ but would that be putting me past the fish. I know its a bit like asking "how long`s a piece of string" but I`ve heard that at Mogs eye in particular there are some gullies that tend to hold fish and that these are what you need to try and find. Is this the case at Huttoft and Chapel six too? Do you have any Knowledge of these marks?
Oh...and as an after thought, bait.....expensive peelers or maybe a whole baby squid? Any thoughts?

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Sorry m8 not area but I'm sure somebody will help ;)

DAZ :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 pm

If theres flatties and bass around(which i presume there will be) I would stick to worm tipped with squid/mackeral. Rigs i would use is simple 2/3 hook flapper rigs with size 1 hooks. (big fish can be caught on small hooks too). Use a clip down rig if the fish are further out. I.E shallow beaches ;)

It is all down to trial and error at night. Shallow beaches can see fish come in closer at night or they stay out a bit. Use 2 rods at varied distance ;)

mabmickyoneleg

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for that flattiefanatic. The questions will keep coming from me I`m afraid, at least for a little while. I`ve 30 years exp. when it comes to Carp fishing but zilch from the beach.
I refer back to the post by wannacatch1 (Daz) he states that when using a pulley rig for hounds he uses 50lb (I presume mono) straight through as dropping to a 30lb hooklength puts a weak link in the rig that could result in crack offs. I`m struggling to tie a decent knot using 50lb mono and 1/0 Aberdeens. Any suggestions, different hook maybe or different knot, maybe braided hooklength.......

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:30 pm

When I say straight through I mean I carry on with 40/50lb line after the swivel on the snood end.Ther are a few knots on the lefthand side under resources. :D

DAZ B-)

mabmickyoneleg

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Many thanks Daz, yes I see what you mean now. I`ve put a crimp and a bead about 6" before the swivel that the snood attatches to so in effect the main force of the cast is carried by the 50lb mono. I hope I don`t come across as a proper muppet, I`m trying to get everything as right as I can before I get on the beach. I`ve read a few more posts now on other forums/sites and I think I`m heading in the right direction. I can`t wait to put theory into practice, even if it`s only a few flatties and Whitting I catch. I`m not one to wish time away but I can`t wait for the summer and the smoothound to move in, they`ve really wet my appetite for fishing again.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Depends where you are i could maybe give you a few pointers?

mabmickyoneleg

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I was going to be heading for Huttoft at the weekend coming but we`ve had some of those nice envelopes drop through the door.......you know the sort, begging letters from tne gas, electric, water board lol
So it`s postponed to the following week. Probably going to get there Fri afternoon till Sun evening. I`ll order some live yellow tail and I`ve some black lug in the freezer and squid so I`ll just give it a whirl. I don`t know whereabouts you are but if you`re in the vicinity you`re welcome to a cuppa and a bacon sarnie, you can`t miss the motorhome 30ft tri-axle Ducato with the kettle permanently whistling.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm

mabmickyoneleg wrote:Many thanks Daz, yes I see what you mean now. I`ve put a crimp and a bead about 6" before the swivel that the snood attatches to so in effect the main force of the cast is carried by the 50lb mono. I hope I don`t come across as a proper muppet, I`m trying to get everything as right as I can before I get on the beach. I`ve read a few more posts now on other forums/sites and I think I`m heading in the right direction. I can`t wait to put theory into practice, even if it`s only a few flatties and Whitting I catch. I`m not one to wish time away but I can`t wait for the summer and the smoothound to move in, they`ve really wet my appetite for fishing again.
I dont bother with a crimp just a bead a crimp if to tight can also weaken the line.

DAZ

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Instead of crimps you can use the telephone wire. Works just as good and is adjustable ;)

mabmickyoneleg

Post by mabmickyoneleg » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Many thanks Flatiefanatic, I`ve seen that used some years ago as a stop and had forgotten all about it..... you mean to wrap around the main line (as a coil) I think. I`ll give that one a whirl. In defense though I`ve used the really soft crimps and I`ve an electricians crimping tool that has an adjustable torque type setting, I`ve set it on the lowest setting possible. We`ll see if it`s ok next week when I put a 6oz lead through the windscreen as it cracks off.........oops!!

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:17 am

mabmickyoneleg wrote: you mean to wrap around the main line (as a coil)
Thats the one fella, takes more time then a crimp but less stress on the line ;)