Hello from a disabled angler

All topics in this forum will be related to sea fishing for the Disabled.
Ironside

Hello from a disabled angler

Post by Ironside »

Hi there,

I think I came across this site through a link from my own website, something about fishing at sharkham point. Anyway, I'm disabled myself and am always pleased to see forums and websites making an effort to include those of us who very much enjoy fishing but sometimes can't participate as much as we would like because of mobility problems. I live in Brixham, Torbay and am a very keen angler, both coarse and sea. I tend to go carp fishing more than I do in the sea but that's basically down to the fact that the people I go with a more into fresh water than salt. I decided that this year was going to be a year where I would make an absolute effort to do as much sea fishing as possible. The only problem I have is there are only a few places that are accessible to somebody in a wheelchair. The breakwater is fairly accessible in parts, fishing near Oxton Cove is also possible, and also around the harbour, but there's not much there apart from a few small mullet every now and then.

It's a shame that the fishing clubs here in Torbay, Paignton sea anglers and Brixham sea anglers don't seem to make an effort to attract disabled people. After all, it only takes two or three hours out of someone's day to accompany somebody in a wheelchair, it's not like going carp fishing where we stay there all day. I would love to try and set up some kind of buddy system whereas somebody can accompany somebody like myself along the breakwater for a couple of hours to go and do some fishing, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would be happy and willing to help out.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated

Http://www.tetraplegicliving.com

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, and welcome to the forum, you will find quite a lot of us are disabled, or less able in some way, luckily there are a lot of good lads on here always ready to help out. I'm sure if we have members close to you, someone will offer help in getting to new venues. The thing to remember is, not to give up at the start, some members only come online occasionally, or when work permits. Write a post and say what help you would need etc, and see what happens. Cheers...mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forums mate, several of the lads do help out or offer transport to disabled anglers in their region so I expect you will soon get a reply.
Cheers
keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Wed May 11, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironside

Post by Ironside »

Thanks for the nice welcome chaps. I'm lucky in one aspect, I do have my own transport that I can drive myself, as in a Mercedes sprinter van so I can always do my bit as in transporting everyone and all their equipment if need be. I'm more than happy to travel further afield than Torbay, Plymouth I hear is quite good for disabled people in some places. Anyway, it would be great to meet some new guys who love fishing as much as I do and who would be willing to help out.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi ironside
firstly welcome to the mad house . your coments is the reason i had the disabled forum started .you will see there are various stickysin the disabled forum re meeting and getting and giving help . it has been a great help to myself and others have told me the same for them . so ifyou put a post up with your details etc im sure you will get some replies . there are also a few different other thingsin the forum you may find interesting. if you have anything to add to the forum you think that might benifit other less mobile anglers please post them .look forward to seeingsome of your reports of you days out fishing
cheers dcm (steve)

Ironside

Post by Ironside »

Thanks Steve, sounds good to me. I don't take my sea fishing too seriously, I'm happy to sit there catching mackerel all day, can't beat it. Mind you, Brixham breakwater is great if you want to Big Wrasse, there is an almost custom-made spot near the end of the breakwater that is an ideal and safe spot for wheelchair users to fish from.

Anyway, I will write up something about myself and posted in the forum later and will see what happens. Like I said, I've got my own transport so hopefully that should make life easy as I'm not just stuck to one place

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

look forward to reading your post . i hope your as lucky as i am in my area with the support the guys on this forum give me with transport and fishing trips .
cheers dcm