casting instructor

All topics in this forum will be related to sea fishing for the Disabled.
dontcatchmuch

casting instructor

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all dose anyone know of or is there anyone that gives casting lessons in the medway area please (multiplier reels)
cheers steve

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

You can go to the expense or look on you tube and take it to a field.

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

to cast better there is two things to learn get your drop ( the lengh from your top eye to your lead ) every one is differant i like a short drop some long go by the rings on your rod as a guide and each cast move to the next eye till you get it right i bet you have done a cast were it went further then you do normally that was because you had the right drop also wen you are casting never look at the water look at the sky it you look down you will cast down you need hight to get distance i have a broken collar bone and im casting nearly 150yds

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

cheers roy thanks ill try it out
steve

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I'm in the process of teaching myself to beachcast too. John Holden's videos are the most useful I've seen. He recommends beginning with OTG casts, which I think is good advice.

Thoughts from my experience. If you're just starting, cast without too much power to get the rhythm and direction right. To get distance you have to hit the final punch hard, much harder than I did to begin with.

And yes, aim your cast at 45 degrees to get a trajectory for max distance.

But I think a casting instructor would speed things up a lot.

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

the reason you learn the off the ground cast first is wen your casting and you pendalum cast the last part off your cast is the same as off the ground casting is getting it in your brain then you just cast the same without thinking about it

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

yep
all in the timing and trajectory
i aint an expert by any means but i popped over the park today with snagger

snagger was sending his lead the length of a soccer pitch with an overhead thump.
myself was practicing with my new abu pro mag 6500
even a pretty gentle thump i was hitting the penalty area with the brakes on full
eventually i got braver and reduced the braking bit by bit and also how long my leader drop was.
by the time i found out my optimum length of leader drop the brakes were right off ( so was my direction !!!!!!!! )

my first cast like that cleared a 50ft tree about 90 yds away and ended up in the next field :D :D :D :D

my next cast really hit the sweet spot
it flew the length of the soccer pitch diagonally from corner post to corner post and i burnt my thumb stopping it before it cleared the fence cos it was sailing towards someones house :-SS :-SS :-SS :-SS :-SS

i reckon it might have hit 150 yds if i never had to take evasive action

i am gonna get me some casting lessons to try and harness the power.

also, it does help if you have decent gear.

believe me, i aint a great caster, before i got my new rods and reels this week, i was struggling to hit 70 yds in a field with my old cheapo set up

cant wait to have a few lessons, also need to find a bigger field :D :D :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi guys thanks for all thr replies .the main reason for wanting to get an intsructor is that i have a very low bone dencity though medication ,i got a nice pair of new rods for xmas that have helped greatly but just thought that an instructor would proberly help even more as i always have thought that being shown something rather than watching a film is better no matter how much you practice so if there is any body out there that can help i would appreciate it greatly
steve

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

John Holden's videos are the most useful I've seen
I started out reading a John Holden book on "off the ground casting" then even purchased his video! :)

I even taught myself how to pendulum cast through that video B-)

Cheers
mrix

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

Steve

There are lists of instructors somewhere I believe (anyone here know?). I think the advantage of one is that they can watch you and see where you're going wrong - makes for fast improvement.

In the meantime if you search the Sea Angler website you will find some recent articles on the subject by John Holden. His advice is as good as any I've seen.

Be careful. Don't break any bones.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Steve

There are lists of instructors somewhere I believe (anyone here know?).

I think the advantage of one is that they can watch you and see where you're going wrong - makes for fast improvement.
THAT IS MY THINKING TO
In the meantime if you search the Sea Angler website you will find some recent articles on the subject by John Holden. His advice is as good as any I've seen.

Be careful. Don't break any bones.
IVE GOT A COUPLE OF YEARS BEFOR THAT STARTS TO HAPPEN BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO BE CAREFULL