advice please

Please only post topics related to fishing the Humber Estuary area here.
clarky

advice please

Post by clarky »

Hi Guys I havn't done sea fishn since about 10 years old just bought a cono-flex enigma 13ft what reel would suit multi or fixed also is there any thing around at moment worth catching :D

concrete

Re: advice please

Post by concrete »

clarky wrote:Hi Guys I havn't done sea fishn since about 10 years old just bought a cono-flex enigma 13ft what reel would suit multi or fixed also is there any thing around at moment worth catching :D
The Enigma is really a multiplier rod.

I can't help you with the fishing 'cos I'm in East Anglia.

clarky

Post by clarky »

cheers thanks,
as it happens i've just been given a nearly new ryobi spider multi do you know if these are any good for beach/pier.
does any one recommend a good multi for this type of fishn, also reels to keep away from

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Certainly for the beach, I'd go for the Penn Supermag Extra if you can do the money (£150). Concretes been trying the Okuma Magnetix and it looks a blinding reel for £60 and I will be investing in one shortly for a third rod.

clarky

Post by clarky »

cheers dunc i was told of the mag 525 as good might take a look, also does anyone know where to order a pot n laddle for meltn lead

mbmailler

Post by mbmailler »

i have looked at the okuma magnetix looks abit on the bulky side to me i do like the look of the new abu's though they loook sweet

clarky

Post by clarky »

the two new abu 6500 and quite a bit cheaper to, one of the reels the 6500C3CT MAG HI SPEED has a ratchet, line out alarm fitted or clicker as its called they were removed a few years ago aparently pressure from tournament casters looks great

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

I t depends on where you will be fishing Clarky- if you're gonna be rock fishing on the North East Coast you'd be better off going for something a bit bigger than the ABU- they're great casting reels and you can pick up the old green Mag Elites for a bargain - but something like a Slosh 30 can also cast well and cope with the heavier ground in the North East.

if you're fishing clean beaches then to be honest you cant go wrong with an ABU mag but you've gotta look after them and keep the clean and serviced.

concrete

Post by concrete »

mbmailler wrote:i have looked at the okuma magnetix looks abit on the bulky side to me i do like the look of the new abu's though they loook sweet

Never, ever buy an item of tackle 'cos it looks good.

Buy it because it does the job you need it to.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

concrete wrote:
mbmailler wrote:i have looked at the okuma magnetix looks abit on the bulky side to me i do like the look of the new abu's though they loook sweet

Wise words indeed- Does anybody want to buy a bulk load of flashy tackle?

concrete

Post by concrete »

stuartdv wrote:
concrete wrote:

Wise words indeed- Does anybody want to buy a bulk load of flashy tackle?
I'm quite lucky as I know two tackle shop owners and plenty of people who just have to buy the latest gear. This often gives me the opportunity to try something out before I buy it.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Ok, I bought the supermag!

clarky

Post by clarky »

Cheers lads, that many reels out there not sure what to buy think i might go for new penn 525 mag.

stuartdv if you still have the flashy tackle i'll buy it as long as it looks good :lol: :lol: :lol:

mogthemackem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mogthemackem »

Can't go wrong with the supermag Clarky. I've got one and I swear by it. Really good strong reel and excellent for casting. The mag extra has a brake on it that's easier to catch by accident and change your settings so best with just the supermag.

Bread

Post by Bread »

mogthemackem wrote:Can't go wrong with the supermag Clarky. I've got one and I swear by it. Really good strong reel and excellent for casting. The mag extra has a brake on it that's easier to catch by accident and change your settings so best with just the supermag.

Just be careful of the Supermag Xtra as mine and StuartDVs have had cracked end plates. It wasn't a problem because Penn sorted them out really quicklyand easily, but just be careful.

I also have an Okuma Magnetix model 20 - tye smaller one and it's fine. Not as fast as the 525 but at half the price (or third or whatever) still good value. You can get Mag Elites now for the same price (new) if you look around, even though they are the old model.