tried my luck at paull

Please only post topics related to fishing the Humber Estuary area here.
beachnewbie

tried my luck at paull

Post by beachnewbie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm

hi, i had a day out at flambrough last week, turned up and was really rough. i persisted for a couple of hours before deciding it was unfishable...
so i tried my luck at paull.... caught nothing.

i had no trouble fishing all last winter and rarely blanked but this summer i've done terible.
fished spurn, kilnsea, hornsea and a few between but had nothing but dab and 1 flounder!
was i wasting my time at paull and can anyone suggest how i might catch a fish this summer? im about ready to hang my rods up until october its been that bad.
i generally fish with flappers, one rod in the surf and the other further out. been using mackeral and blueys

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

im catching plenty of bass at the moment i know bait is a personel thing but i dont like blueys or macky in summer as i think you put a strong smell in the water and you just tell the crabs were you are you also have to know were to fish on certain tides im waiting for the tides to get bigger then ill go and catch bass and i know i will

beachnewbie

Post by beachnewbie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 pm

what would you suggest i use for bait, i stopped buying worm until winter because i couldnt justify the price.

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:10 am

cheap baits are pink shrimps / maddies / garden worms work really well there were the only bait i could get wen i was a kid and i know people who still use them now lugworm i dig my self

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 am

One bait often overlooked is mussel. The main reason is that you need to keep it on the hook using bait elastic. You can either buy it or pick it up for free from piers and suchlike.
The use of earthworms only really work in estuaries where it not unusual to find them being washed down after a heavy rainfall. Flatties will take the quite readily, but they need to be changed frequently as they soon die and blanch out.
Cheers
keith :D :D

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 pm

you can get away with using blueys and macky only wen theres fish in the area as the crabs dig in the sand as they are food as well and as for worms being no good wen there dead is the daftest statement ive seen for a long time are you saying that a fish sees a dead worm and says no thanks after a gale the fish come to the shores looking for dead worms and fish and crabs to eat and if dead worms are no good why do we catch fish on frozen blacklug and you cant say there not dead

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Did I mention dead? I stated that the earthworms blanch out and that you should change them frequently.

I suggest that you read my post properly before making bad comments. You really are a pain in the proverbial.
Rabbi2

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

die or dead same thing

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:57 pm

That raises an interesting question over bait changing. The usual wisdom that I gather is that bait should be changed every 20 minutes or so because it soon loses its scent. But if fish eat dead worms that may have been around for hours or more, is that a good reason? Or is it the case that the freshest bait is generally the best? Then what about dabs and smelly dead worms?

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm

the piont im making is you sea fish with dead worms all the time if you have a bait box full of live lugworms as soon as you put them on your hook there dead wen you bring your gear back are the worms still moving or do you see them moving on your hook as your casting them out no you dont as the hook kills them your only casting with a fresh worm the best time to fish a beach is after a gale blowing to the shore this digs out all the food wen the seas calm down the fish coming looking for all the food that as died in the gales thats why you fish holes and gulleys in the beach as it gets loads of food dropped in it and the fish know were the food will be

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:27 pm

There have been occasions when smelly lug has out fished fresh especially on a boat because of the smelly scent. Earthworms on the other hand even if alive on the hook will die very quickly due to the salt content in sea water.

In my original answer I stated the fact, nothing was mentioned about dead worms.
Rabbi2

bomberpete
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bomberpete » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm

The biggest plaice caught on the holderness coast was caught by a german visitor using ordinary garden worm, and i know some top match anglers now and then use a few garden worms during club matches..
You also got to remember the holderness cliff which are clay collapse a lot so fish patrolling the holderness coast will naturally feed on earth worms that have fallen in...

MPM