sk3 14ft or sk4 14ft?

The Buy, Sale, Wanted and Exchange Forum.

Moderator: Admin

stewarty
Occasional
Occasional

sk3 14ft or sk4 14ft?

Post by stewarty » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am

Hi all
I was planning to buy a sonik sk4 14 ft but due to Christmas and lack of funds have now decided to look at purchasing a sonik sk3 14ft instead. Is there much of a difference in them?
Stewarty

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 am

It will make your eyes water a bit more if you tread on an sk 4 LOL. Seriously though, I always engage logic when asking myself such questions:
1. Would I catch more fish with an sk4? - Doubt it.
2. Would I be able to cast another 40 yds with an sk4? - Doubt it.
Confess that I am not familiar with Sonik stuff as I have been quite happy with Abu's for the last three years prices of which come roughly half way between the two you mention if you hunt around. There are other highly acceptable rods out there too which should all be considered IMO and there is one mail order outfit which is doing some very good prices at present - sent you a PM.

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

Post by UglyStik360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 am

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah well, trouble with the cheap stuff is poor casting action and they flap about in the wind. Bought them meself in the past but just don't compare with a proper carbon rod.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm

True saying is you get what you pay for. Plenty of good second hand rods about if you cant buy new. Greys and diawa have been trusted makes for me in the past, never let me down ;)

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Go for the SK4 mate- I've heard a few people having breakages on the SK3 but i'm sure the guys at sonik would have sorted any manufacturing problem if there was one. However, I've had a go of the SK 4 and its a great rod- powerful and will cope with most conditions

here's a link to a very good caster putting one through its paces- ok he's backcasting it but the rod is suitable for any casting style

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

That's not "back casting", that's a pendulum cast. Mind you if it will take that compression, it's OK.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:43 pm

eccles wrote:That's not "back casting", that's a pendulum cast. Mind you if it will take that compression, it's OK.
Afraid you've got it very wrong there Eccles- that is a back cast demonstrated by Dean Bass-

here he is again

This is a pendulum cast:

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Although both styles are based on swinging the lead

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Precious little difference between the casts to my eye - other than one keeps the butt tucked in, the value of which escapes me.

As for getting what you pay for, I'm not sure this applies anymore. Decent rods can be had for very reasonable prices; whereas you can pay quite a lot for something ordinary. So many opinions on rods and other tackle now, it's almost pointless asking. Tackle dealers ought to know something, but even then it is hard to be sure.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Precious little difference between the casts to my eye - other than one keeps the butt tucked in, the value of which escapes me.
As I said they both involve swinging the lead but they are two different casts - try reading John Holdens book about long range casting - He explains the value of the back cast- it's a perfect cast for putting big cod baits out a long way- especially in Winter- it's also an excellent cast for putting a three hook flapping bait a long way.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm

That can only be because there is less force in the cast.

Anyway, getting away from the topic now.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Whelkie wrote:In actual fact it is a'reverse pendulum' cast............ simply because of the 'pendulum' motion............ :-B
I really cant be bothered- call it what you like but in actual fact and in the casting world and fishing world it's called a backcast- Dean Bass is one of the best back casters around- that's why the video is headed Back Cast- Dave Vicary is another fine back caster

as is Dave Richardson

The clues in the title- backcast

back to the original post- i'd go for the SK4 out of those two rods