new to boat fishing in the solent

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
minimech
Regular
Regular

new to boat fishing in the solent

Post by minimech »

Hi folks, could anyone give me any tips? I've just bought a wilson flyer (17ft) and am keen to go fishing out of my base in Southampton, If any of you kind people out there could give me a few hints on where to go, I would be very greatfull,
Pete.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Not my area sorry, nice boat though nothing but good reports on them. I have a 16.5ft ski boat with a built in 25 gall fuel tank.

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

thanks for your support, she has a 60 yamaha on the back, i've not had her out yet but hope to soon,

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Dont forget a backup engine. I have a 60hp Evinrude with a 9.9hp backup. what other gear have you on board? keith

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

hi mate, good thinking about the backup, i'm on the lookout for something now, although I do have an ancient Seagull available to me,, she has a fishfinder, 2 x GPS, compass, VHF, anchor and other bits and pieces, I do have a local chart thats around a year old so I should find my way around ok, he says without confidence, lol.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Nice to speak to another boatowner, dont forget spare anchor. If possible try and get a 10hp backup as a 4hp wont get you in against the tide. The number of small boats I have seen with only a 4 on the back is unbelievable. Cheers keith

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

Ah yes, I forgot to mention the spare anchor, fenders, mooring lines and supposedly nifty anchor recovery buoy. but i'm surprised that such a small boat would need a 10 hp spare, so thanks for the enlightenment.
Pete.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

By having a 10 you certanly will get back in thats for sure, There very little weight difference if any and very little difference in price.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

go to general chat and scroll down to DO MANY PEOPLE BOAT FISH. thats my boat.

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

Thanks again for your help Keith, The wise man has 2 ears, 2 eyes and only one mouth,( I don't quite know where we stand with the keyboard and 10 fingers) I've only been on here an hour and already know a lot more than when I started, thanks. all assistance greatfully recieved

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Your welcome best of luck with the boat, cheers keith

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

Vrey nice boat Keith, fast, by the look of her, when I figure out how to get pics on here I will put one of mine up

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

well I live in hopes of a kind local giving me some starter tips on where to fish, i'm not after anyones hotspot, just a clue, ie anyone know what greenlands is like or the brambles?

madmike300uk
Occasional
Occasional

Post by madmike300uk »

hi i'm fishing greenland this sunday afternoon and evening , same boat as you , should see some hounds on hermit crab and bream to ragworm , we did last year this time. if you are out come along side (boats blue and white)

waverider14
Regular
Regular

Post by waverider14 »

Hello there I dont own a boat but if you can speak to ratman1 he is a owner and fishes the solent area will give you advice.