Put a dexter on it!

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Put a dexter on it!

Post by Judgegeoff » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Last time I went wreck fishing in the English Channel we first visited the Varne Bank to catch live sandeels. We were using small shrimp lures (6 off) with very small hooks. Having caught a few sandeels I suddenly felt a strong tug on the line and assumed I had caught one or more mackerel. When I wound my tackle in I was delighted to see that I had caught a sea bass, not huge, but over 46cm. It was a wonder that the tiny hook had held.

I was telling a more experienced angler about the incident and he told me that he uses a dexter lure with a treble hook instead of a lead weight when fishing for sandeels and has caught quite a few bass on it.

Next time we go out I will be taking a couple of dexters in my tackle box!

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:29 am

Well if it worked 20 years ago, it is still going to work now Geoff. We constantly hear about new wonder lures which cost an arm and a leg of course but the basics don't change. I knew an old geezer a few years ago who was still putting home made "silver paper" on his mackerel lures. "Well it works don't it moosh?", was his only comment.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:16 pm

eccles wrote:Well if it worked 20 years ago, it is still going to work now Geoff. We constantly hear about new wonder lures which cost an arm and a leg of course but the basics don't change. I knew an old geezer a few years ago who was still putting home made "silver paper" on his mackerel lures. "Well it works don't it moosh?", was his only comment.
I remember my grandfather taking me fishing on one of Blackpool's piers circa 1955, when a huge shoal of mackerel came in and the sea was all silver. My grandfather put silver paper on my hook and I caught a fish within seconds of each cast. I also remember my grandfather putting his coat down on the iron grating floor, to stop the fish falling through back into the sea. Happy days! :)