Drift Fishing Advice

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Castaway

Drift Fishing Advice

Post by Castaway » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am

Hi y'all, I've just started fishing from my first boat. I've completed the RYA's Power Boat Level II and I'm looking to build up some experience.

My question is that, except on the calmest of days, once on the drift the boat turns naturally side-on to the wind and waves. This makes for quite an uncomfortable time and I was thinking of buying a droque or sea anchor to help turn it bow-first into the wind and waves.

However, I've not seen anyone mention this technique and was wondering how common it was or if there is another solution?

Thanks
Keith
PS I've got an 8 metre Beneteau Antares.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:46 pm

I think a sideways drift is normal with the angler moving around the boat if it swings. I am sure a drogue would be a pain in the butt to use and would cut down on fishing time retrieving it and putting it back down repeatedly.
I would suggest you persevere until you get used to the motion or leave the drifting for calmer days.

I have only seen a drogue (or rubber trug buckets with a hole in the bottom) used a few times from charter boat s in many years of fishing .

Castaway

Post by Castaway » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks for this, it answers a few other questions, other than the one I asked.

So, grin and bear it seems to be the order of the day!

Thanks again for taking the time.