Orkney boats gone bust ????

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
castman
Regular
Regular

Orkney boats gone bust ????

Post by castman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi all, I've heard a roomer down here in Gosport that the boat company Orkney have gone bust. I've also been told that they took no orders from the boat show. Does anyone know or have anymore inf on this. If its true it's a real shame, they have built very good boats for a very, very long time.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 am

It would be a shame if they have as they were renown for the stability they built into their craft.

I have heard similar things with the makers of Seahog craft. I do know that they were cutting back even before the squeeze.

I can see this happening throughout the Leisure industry.

Why the government don't subsidise british companies beats me, after all the French do it for the farmers to the tune of millions. X( X( X(

By the way do they still have a butter mountain? X( X(
Cheers
keith :D :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 pm

It's not a rumour that I have heard other than here.
As an Orkney owner I hope that it is just rumour. The company has proudly boasted they made fishing boats, not just boats you could fish from.
Against the direction the industry in general was moving, Orkney continued to produce boats rated for a much smaller power unit compared to others. It seems odd that British anglers thirst for power and speed may have killed an industry stallwart at the very time fuel costs were soaring and the demand for lower powered, fuel efficient vessels should be greatest.
Orkney never compromised on the quality of their vessels and the initial purchase price proved to be relatively high against the competition. I hope their downfall proves not to be at the expense of their quality and determination to produce lower powered vessels.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Their website is still operational today. I agree with tomcat, a 16ft Orkney with say a 15 horse 4 stroke engine on would be my ideal inshore angling boat and I wouldn't bother to waste space by having one of those silly little cuddies on the front. I know I am about right because some of our local long liners use a very similar vessel probably more like 20 ft with an inboard diesel on though.

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm

A bit of research on't net reveals this report dated 14th October 2011.
http://www.business-sale.com/news/artic ... 35421.html

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Oh dear what a dreadful shame, some of the most solid and reliable small boats made in the UK. Can't some of you order a few?

castman
Regular
Regular

Post by castman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 am

So it's true.....what a shame, they are indeed a strong and true boats with outstanding quility. Lets just hope the administrators can do something for them. Fingers crossed for them.

OrkneyBoats

Post by OrkneyBoats » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:18 am

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Now that was a post I was happy to read.
Best of luck for the future, my particular Orkney is 24 years old and still often thought to be nearly new by viewers.

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Its good to see that a well renowned boat company is still in buisness all beit with a smaller workforce, good luck for the future it would be a real shame to see an end to orkney boats

Dave :D