Recommend a fishfinder/GPS

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Ironside

Recommend a fishfinder/GPS

Post by Ironside » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey guys, I am getting myself a NAB 23 Dory next year and I want to fit it out with a fishfinder/GPS. I live in Brixham in Torbay so the water is never going to be that deep, let's say 100 feet at the most, but that is just a rough guess. So any recommendations on a good fishfinder with GPS would be greatly appreciated.

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 pm

The question you need to ask is, how much am I willing to spend?
The greater the outlay the better the resulting equipment. In the leisure user aspect of the industry Lowrance takes some beating. In all honesty the use of colour for the sonar side of the display does nothing for me whatsoever. The use of colour in the gps mapping screen is highly useful. A quick glance at a gps mapping screen instantly defines if you are travelling towards deeper or shallow water. All the information depicted by colour sonar can be gained with knowledge from a quality grey scale mono display. For ease of use ensure you select a gps that includes some form of mapping. C-map, navionics or similar will serve you well.

Ironside

Post by Ironside » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks for the expedient reply and advice, that was very helpful indeed. I have been pondering the website and looking at what is recommended for small boats, I reckon something along the lines of this chart plotter/fishfinder would suit my needs down to the ground, what do you reckon? Also, is well within my budget

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine ... s/Elite-5/

Ironside

Post by Ironside » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Since we are looking at the Lowrance range of GPS/fishfinder, I thought that it would be worth looking at the Marine radios, what you make of this one, worth a shot?

http://www.force4.co.uk/6366/Lowrance-- ... Radio.html

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm

I have that very same radio on my Orkney. My chartplotter/sonar unit is a combined colour display unit, an earlier version of what you have depicted. I have no experience of that particular gps/sonar but doubtless, as with all Lowrance, will be a good workman like unit.