Boat handling & fishing Southampton/Portsmouth/Bournemou

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Boat handling & fishing Southampton/Portsmouth/Bournemou

Post by Metalmark » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hi, I live in Southampton area and am looking to buy my own boat at the moment but have no experiance at all in launching, handling etc. So would love the opportunity to tag along with anyone who has a boat and pick up some tips etc... will happily contribute to fuel costs etc. of course any fishing done would be an added bonus.

my email is: mark at metalmart dot org dot uk

Mark

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

Post by whitbydiver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:16 pm

mark i would suggest that you sit a power boat course with ur local r.y.a training centre as if you go with other skippers you will pick up all their bad habits up also im not saying any members on this site are but there are so many clowns out there.
i would also say having ur own boat is not the dogs under carraige that everybody makes it out to be u need endless money to throw at them as they r just a money pit,they say if you hate someone buy them a boat or pigeons.
stick with charter boats as when u step ashore its their problem then.
dont wanna put u off ur dream but just making u aware of the pitfalls.
i wish u luck with whatever you decide.
lumpy swells.
whitby. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

whitbydiver wrote:mark i would suggest that you sit a power boat course with ur local r.y.a training centre as if you go with other skippers you will pick up all their bad habits up also im not saying any members on this site are but there are so many clowns out there.
i would also say having ur own boat is not the dogs under carraige that everybody makes it out to be u need endless money to throw at them as they r just a money pit,they say if you hate someone buy them a boat or pigeons.
stick with charter boats as when u step ashore its their problem then.
dont wanna put u off ur dream but just making u aware of the pitfalls.
i wish u luck with whatever you decide.
lumpy swells.
whitby. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I pretty much agree with the above, particularly the need for training. It's one of those sports, where, if you get somthing wrong once, you may pay with your own and crews lives. The ownership of a boat can be expensive. The boat is only the start of the cost. You can't afford to cut corners.
The enjoyment gained from ownership and experiencing a well planned and executed days fishing on your own boat is one of lifes great highs. Boating can be carried out on a budget, just quite a big budget.

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Metalmark » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:18 am

Cheers guys for your advice, whitby, I am gonna do that RYA course as i am in the heart of yachting country here (right next to the i.o.w etc) so theres not a shortage of centres where i can do this...

I have an urge to get my own boat and as with most things i am looking for all advice first before i take the plunge (not literally lol) so welcome advice both postive and negative and appreciate honest feedback from all so keep it coming.

Thx again

Mark

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am

If you decide to take the plunge. Take a little time before leaping into making your purchase. If there are any local boat angling clubs, make a point of visiting and chatting to owners. Speak to as many as possible and make a mental note of the type (not make) of craft that seem most popular. Question them about boat suitablity for your area, not just their particular boat. A good question is, if money were no object, which boat would they wish to own and launch. Very often this is a different craft to the one they own, and develops an idea of the perfect vessel for your locality. Whatever craft you do choose, don't skimp on the trailer. A good roller cradle trailer will allow effortless, single handed launch and retreivale for many years as well as keeping your pride and joy in secure undamaged condition. One practical note, if you can get a suitable outfit totalling under 750kg including trailer, so much the better as this is the max' without requiring a braked trailer. Brakes and sea water is a route for permenant maintenance.

blahblahblah

Post by blahblahblah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 pm