Fish finder advise please ?

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
ohsolazy
Occasional
Occasional

Fish finder advise please ?

Post by ohsolazy » Sun May 08, 2011 7:06 am

Ive got a basic garmin finder , i know how to adjust it when im out , just looking for advise on what to look for , have found a few drop offs in the solent and around the isle of white which have fished well , but what else should i be looking for ?
Cheers
Pete

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 am

Fish holding features slot into two groups. Features that offer protection from both tidal pressure and predators. Wrecks reefs etc fall into this section. The other section are features that offer a food supply to fish. Again features from the first section will hold bait fish which in turn attract predators. Undulating sea beds too offer food supplies to bottom feeding fish. The trough behind a sand bank offers a build up of food carried in the tidal flow where the bank offers a little deflection of the tidal run. The food stuffs drop down into these down slopes. Bottom feeding fish target these slopes/gullies for easy food. On a small boat the technique in locating these structures are to motor INTO the tidal flow when searching out these structures. By doing this it's easy to locate them after they've shown on the sounder by simply dropping the engine into neutral for a couple of seconds. Drift back to confirm location before motoring back uptide to drop the anchor. Hope this helps a little.

ohsolazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ohsolazy » Mon May 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks ,
very good peice of info , im sort of getting the hang of it , new to boat fishing "my own boat" , been beach casting for so many years , all the advice i can get is welcome.....thanks again...Pete.