Braid for boat fishing

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Braid for boat fishing

Post by Judgegeoff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi,
I am returning to boat fishing after more than two decades break. The mono line on my reels must be rotten and will need to be replaced with braid. Last time I was boat angling, wire line was the 'in' thing. What happened to it? Was it superseded by braid?
Can somebody please tell me what is a reasonable amount of braid line to put on the reels for general fishing. Would 150yds of 30lb braid plus a bit of mono leader be sufficient? For heavier (wreck) fishing I intend to use 80lb braid without a leader (thanks Rabbi2).
Cheers, Geoff
:D :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm

If your going to the expense of braid, be sure to get Ron Thompson cable braid
Cheers
keith :D :D

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks Keith.
Will 150m be enough on a reel for general fishing? If so, I can split a 300m spool between 2 reels. If not, it will get expensive and I will have to write to Santa!
Cheers mate, I know I can always rely on you for good advice. I am very pleased with the Daiwa BF5500 you recommended for beachcasting!
Geoff

sportstar

Post by sportstar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 pm

i used to use braid for wreck fishing but lost a lot of good fish because there is no stretch so went back to mono line because it as a bit of stretch and now i dont loose as many fish

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks Sportstar,
I chose braid because I assumed that its much finer profile would enable me to use less lead with strong tides and also I would detect bites better, as well as having more 'feel' with the fish. However, after your comment, I will look into it a bit more.
Cheers, Geoff

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Not being funny or argumentative but explain how you loose fish by using braid please. Once hooked you can feel every twist and turn the fish makes with the clutch set properly line will give should the fish put up a fight.

I have lost many a fish due to being poorly hooked but after 20yrs of using braid not once can I attribute it to the use of braid.

Back to the question of using it divided between 2 reels, yes that is perfectly OK as I don't think you would need anymore than that for casting.
Cheers
keith :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that - I assumed 300m would be enough for two, but nice to get a second opinion. I too was wondering how a stretchy line could be better than a non-stretchy line.

Cheers, Geoff :D :D

sportstar

Post by sportstar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

when i used to fish places like whitby wrecking for cod useing braid with shock leader i did loose a few fish because there is no stretch in braid so when i went back to useing mono line i never lost as many fish because the line stretches or acts as a shock absorber its the same as when i go wreck fishing pollock in anglsey pollock fight like crazy and i think mono gives you a better chance of catching the fish because it acts like a shock absorber an less chance of pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth

PuddleSplasher

Post by PuddleSplasher » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Judgegeoff wrote:Thanks Sportstar,
I chose braid because I assumed that its much finer profile would enable me to use less lead with strong tides and also I would detect bites better, as well as having more 'feel' with the fish. However, after your comment, I will look into it a bit more.
Cheers, Geoff
Was any condideration given to others that were using Mono?

IE: you may have been cutting through their lines as Braid does? Braid on a boat against mono cuts through it....based upon its percentage of strength

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Big debate! If using braid then I assume that you would be using a weight heavy enough to counteract any drift, this avoids tangles with those using mono. All tangles between anglers can be atributed to 2 things. Anglers using too light a weight for the sea conditions or some pilark casting over others.

The proper way to fish on a boat is for all to use weights suitable to keep the weights on the seabed except for those on the stern who normally drift so as to clear the (scare area) of the boat

Cheers
keith :D :D