artificial eels

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

artificial eels

Post by phatboy »

hi
just wondering what is the best way/ times/ marks to fish artificial eels would be. ive just bought a job lot of ebay and would like to use them of my kayak for pollack and bass.
at the moment ive been tying them onto a 2/0 hook on a 5ft length of mono tied to the mainline with a swivel and a barrel lead on the mainline but havent had any luck as of yet. am i doing something wrong? is there a better way?
any advice on colours/ times of day/ species would also be greatly appreciated.
cheers
Phill

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Deep water marks are best preferably with rocky bottom.

Black eels and red eels seem to work best

As for marks that is another matter,
Cheers
keith :D :D

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers for the reply keith
i was planning on trolling a few around Stackpole area in Pembs. i know its a good rock mark from the shore for mackeral, pollack, bass and wrasse and was hoping to target some inshore pollack with them from the yak.

am i wasting my time, should i use frozen/fresh eels instead or is it worth a go?
:-/ :-/ :-/

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Give it a go, nowt to lose but take bait with you in case. Best of luck, Look forward to your report.
Cheers
keith :D :D

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy »

They can work really well trolled in the way you have them set up especially if there are sandeels around.
Also can work well from the shore set up weedless style and bounced around through kelp beds.
Usually natural sandeel is the best colour but also black or brown plain or glitter head with red or yellow tail can be extremely effective.

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers guys
im hoping to get out to stackpole on sunday (weather permitting) and ill give em a go then.
1 more question: ill be fishing over low tide, will this be a problem?

ive got a supply of frozen eels and some rag for backup.
hopefully ill have something to report on sunday night but well have to wait and see :D

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

In my experience they work best in a good tide - the flow animates them enough to interest the fish. But live eels generally outfish them. So perhaps try working them a bit and see if that makes a difference.