Anyone have any experience on painting a boat?

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Johnn

Anyone have any experience on painting a boat?

Post by Johnn »

I have a Orkney Longliner, oldish one with wooden gunwhales,
at the mo the hull is painted white, I do not know what type of paint, but I feel I would like to repaint it,
Please ould someone give me some pointers?
Thanks
John

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Give it a good sanding down and use marine paint only.
Cheers
keith :D :D

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Take a deep breath! :D :D

Johnn

Post by Johnn »

rabbi2 wrote:Give it a good sanding down and use marine paint only.
Cheers
Hi there keith, when you say sanding down, do you mean just to make it smooth etc or to get right down to the raw fibreglass?
Thanks

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Sand it until smooth. The finish depends on the preperation, use wet and dry for the final prep.
If you have acees to spraying facilities then all the better to get into all the tiny nooks and crannies.
Not a job for the faint hearted but good results can be acieved if you take your time and don't rush the job.
If you think that its not quite right and say too yourself oh it ill do. It won't remember that the lump or whatever will magnify itself once the paint is on.

Best of luck mate.
Cheers

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

also try not to brush it on but use one of them wool rollers to do it as you will get a smoother finish

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

as far as the prep work is concerned as long as you've no large scratches to repair a nice sand over with 1200 paper/wet n dry, once you've done this tac it all over with acetone (white spirit will leave a residue leading to fish eyes in the paint) and you're ready to paint, my personal choice would be awlgrip, goes off really hard and is very good paint, as for application as said a roller would be best,
good luck

fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fosma »

If you're going to put on a couple of coats, you need to 'sand' each layer lightly to allow the new paint to key into the previous coat. I use oven cleaner (not the really causic stuff but Jif) which works like t cut for cars and roughs the surface up just enough to let the new paint bond.

bluto

Painting yuour boat

Post by bluto »

Hi Johnn, I paint my sailing yacht every second year and this is how I do it.
First key the surface with 200 grit emery/sand paper, take out as many deep scratches as possible , any that dont come out with the rubdown fill in with a filler that can be obtained from any boat chandlers. Rub down with a dry cloth then a cloth damp with white spirit to remove dust. Use International paints 'Bright side' paint it is the best on the market. Using a
SPONGE roller (a woolen one leaves an orange peel effect) work from bow to stern in 12 to 18 inch panels, before you start the next panel 'lay off' or
lightly brush out anymarks left by the roller. I get a finish that leaves a reflection with this method. Good luck.
Bluto ;)