Up tiding

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
SeaSickSmiffy

Up tiding

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Hi all

I'm new to boat fishing (so new in fact that I haven't got the boat yet, still looking!!) but was wondering about using the up tiding method. Seen it used on various TV progs and mentioned in the mags. I've got an idea as to how it works but can't for the life of me work out how bite indication works.

Anyone got any advice/links where I can find out more?

Cheers

SeaSick

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

hi mate, uptiding is not hard to do just say if you was fishing beside the boat cabin you want to cast to your 11 or 1 oclock all depends on wot side you fishing from and when it comes to letting line out- how it see it if your fishing in 25ft water let out about the same in line all depends on the tide you fishing in. if you want more info just google HOW TO UPTIDE

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

If you really want to get full benefits from the technique I can do no better than you try obtain a book titled "Uptide and boatcasting." By Bob Cox and John Rawle. They were boat skippers from Essex that fine tuned the techniques required.
Returning to your initial question about bite recognition.
Firstly as stated the grip lead is cast uptide of the anchored boat. Allow more line to flow from the spool as the lead falls through the water column to the sea bed. Then against a gentle pressure allow a good belly of line to be pulled off the reel by the tide. The stronger the tide the greater the belly of line. Engage the reel into gear and prop up against the gunnel of the boat. The tip should be pulled into a slight arc against the tidal pull on the line. (known as set) Because of the pressure by the tide on the line bites still show as normal albeit softened by the belly of line. With larger species often the bite shows as a good pull down followed by a slack liner as fish and terminal tackle flow downtide towards you. DON'T STRIKE, Reel in like mad to fully recover the belly of line until the weight of the fish is felt, THEN pull into the fish to ensure the hook is driven in past the barb.
An enjoyable way to fish as you can fish with lighter tackle and line. Very sporting.

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Thanks for the excellent replies gents. Much appreciated. What terminal tackle would you recommend? Would you use a fixed paternoster type rig ir a running rig and I assume that the weight of lead depends on the strength of the tide.

One last question: Can I use my beach caster to uptide from what I hope is going to be a Raider 18 Fisherman?

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

You could use your beachcaster but I wouldn't recomend it. Uptide rods aren't too expensive, even for a good one. Beachcasters are just too long and unwieldy for boat use, the reel should be fine though.
Excellent boat choice by the way. Raider are based a short distance from me. I pretty much know their history from the initial Dave Baxter boats to Johns made in Poland current versions. In fact I used to own a Raider 18 cuddy myself.

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Once again, thanks for the info TC. I might stck to normal "drop over the side" methods until I get used to it. Done some fishing off charter boats in the past.

We're looking at a Raider 18 Fisherman. There's a few around at a reasonable price so in we'll be putting in a few miles looking at them.