Boat Advice

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
SeaSickSmiffy

Boat Advice

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Hi All, newbie here.

Just looking for some boat advice. My father in law and I are looking to buy our first boat for fishing and I'm looking for some advice.

There are 2 current possibilities a Raider 18 or a Warrior 165. The Raider is the current favourite.

Anyone care to offer advice on the pros and cons of the above?

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

having been out fishing on both models you are looking at the only advice i could give is that i would go for the raider18 as the gunwhale sides are a lot higher than the warrior plus it goes hell of a lot faster although the warrior is more stable when anchoured up

Dave :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

The base for each of these boats is just a few miles from my home. I have used both boats extensively. Both are well made with no well known reliabilty issues. Both hold their values quite well. The Raider has a greater deck space, it is after all 18" longer and its design means al near uniform beam. The Warrior probably has the edge in bad weather handling ability. Both offer stable angling platforms. The biggest difference is running costs. The Warrior will happily run with an outboard from 50hp up to 80hp. The Raider 18 requires a bigger outboard to get the very best from the hull, 70hp upwards to 140hp. All these horses have a healthy appetite for petrol!
The weight penalty with the larger Raider together with the larger engine demand a stronger far more expensive road trailer too.
I'm certain either vessel would please, you need to decide which appearance pleases you and if the extra costs involved with the Raider justify its choice. Hope this helps. TC.

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

go for a package with a four stroke engine the fuel consumption is considerable lower than two stroke

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

jacko69 wrote:go for a package with a four stroke engine the fuel consumption is considerable lower than two stroke

If you're going for new you don't see any broken honda's and like said fuel consumption is great

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Viewed both a Raider and Warrior 165 this morning. Perhaps the Raider was a poor example but far more impressed by the Warrior 165. Looked at a Warrior 175 but that was a little too far outside of our price range.

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Well, rightly or wrongly we've gone for the Warrior 165! Sent off the deposit today, hope to get it delivered end of next week! :D

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

well done mate, i would of gone with the warrior to mate they are nice boat

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

they are a very sea worthy boat enjoy all your years of fishing to come

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

and welcome to the world of boat fishing
please make sure safety is your number one concern followed by COD

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Safety, security and hopefully anything that swims!

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Well, she's arrived!!! A delightful Warrior 165, one careful owner, built 2005, 75 hp Honda engine with 64 hours on the clock and a nice little log book to go with it. Unfortunately the weather is rather less than clement so apart from a quick shufty under the cover not done much else. Will post some pictures a) when the weather improves and b) when I can work out how to!! :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

looking forward to seeing pics in the boat owners register STICKY