Will my reel cut it???

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Will my reel cut it???

Post by essexkenny »

Im off out on a charter trip with a neighbour and a few freinds after xmas, and wondered if anybody could give me a bit of advice.
The reel i have is an ABU 6500. Its not a mag or anything special, just a plain old 6500 with a levelwind, which i bought from a friend for 20quid.
Would this be up to a days uptiding for cod, or am i better off using one of the penn 525 mag i have for beachcasting. If the Abu will be ok, id rather use that due to the levelwind.
Last edited by essexkenny on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Hi mate,

Your Abu will be fine.....I use my 6500 blue yonders (original) for uptiding all the time.

Cheers macer :D

togiduck

Post by togiduck »

I agree the ABU will be fine because you only need to cast 45m to get your rigg away from the scare area of the boat when uptiding.
Good luck.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

For light boat fishing I tend to use the Okuma Mag 30 or the Abu 7,500. I also use the 7500 forshore fishing as I like plenty of thumb grip on the spool.

Question for reel wiz. Can you tell me why on earth the 7,000 was re-classified from a beach casting reel to alight boat reel.

Back in the 50s and 60s the Abu 484 rod with a 7,000 on it was all the rage.
Cheers
Keith :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Thanks for that its just that I seldom see my favourite reel used from the shore anymore. Sorry about the dates as old age does take its toll. lol

If You were to suggest one reel to cope with both types of fishing both boat and shore, would I be right in thinking it would be the old 7,000?
Cheers keith :D :D

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I used to go out boat fishing on the Thames quite often (a while ago) probably every other week, but I always used to use a penn535 at the time. Just havent ever tried using a small reel.
Although being as the abu is quite a small reel, then i might take one of my penn reels and use that : :D

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

if possible give the Chinese stuff a miss.............Boy !!!!!!!!! nearly everthing they make is CRAP, WHEN WILL PEOPLE WAKE UP AND GIVE IT THE TWO FINGER SALUTE

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Well i dont have the 535 I used to use, sold it a while ago. So ill take the 525 i use for beachcasting and use that, i think :)

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

jeames

Post by jeames »