Info needed so I can use my boat

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
castman
Regular
Regular

Info needed so I can use my boat

Post by castman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello!!!! I have just brought a boat, a 14ft with a cuddy, I will be using it most weekends, sooner the better, I'm doing a few bits to it at the moment, so thought I would ask a few questions while the work is been done. Has I said, it's a 14 footer and 5ft 8 wide, with a cuddy, it's got a 20 hp outboard. I plan on using it in the Solent and maybe around the Isle of wight, do you thing this would be ok and how many persons do you think it would ok to take on the boat. Any info would be appriaciated on the questions I have listed and any other info you think might be useful.
Thank you ;)

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:21 am

it is ok for the area you want to fish but with it being such a small boat i wouldnt go out with more that 3 adults onboard

Dave :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:24 am

On a 14ft boat you are left with very little fishing space so I would sugest only two persons on board.Has the engine been fitted with doel fins on the cavity plate? if not then you would benifit from fitting them as it will bring you on the plane quicker at lower revs thus saving you fuel, have you got a back up engine? have you got chain on your anchor rope? have you got 2 anchors.

It would be a good idea to list everything on board the the members could advise you on what you may be short of.
Cheers keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 am

First and most important bit is weather awareness - I have a 14 ft boat too but if the forecast is for anything more than force 4 wind, I don't go!
Next thing to understand in that the Solent is a very busy place so get a chart and find out where the main shipping channels are - a container ship takes at least a mile to come to a stop and if you are in the way, there is not much they can do.
Also important in my opinion although not everyone agrees (except the RNLI) is don't go out there alone, I never do. You would be amazed at what can happen out on the briny and if you are on your own, you could be in real trouble. Just one example: Bloke I know went out alone and was having trouble getting his anchor up, eventually he fell in and drifted away from his boat because there was a current running where he was. Luckily for him a boat nearby spotted him and came to his rescue - but supposing that boat had not been there....
Generally you should be OK in the Solent with that size of boat but make sure you can contact the RNLI if necessary.

castman
Regular
Regular

Post by castman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am

This is what i have on board... First the important things, a stove, kettle, water carrier, ha ha!!! A Johnsons 20hp outboard, a anchor- good size with rope and chain, 2 life jackets but just brought 2 new ones, rope, bulge pump, nav lights, main light, lights in the cuddy. I have also just brought a new vhf handheld radio, 4 new cleats ( only 2 fitted to the boat, a life ring, a solar power battery charger and 4 new fenders

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 am

2 things that spring to mind right away is a depth sounder/fishfinder and a backup engine.
Cheers keith :D :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 am

The big question is what type / make of boat is it. Some 14ft`ers are quite stable and good seaboats others are not. If you don`t know maybe someone on the forum could tell you if you post a photo. :)

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 pm

all the above information you have been given above is fantastic information,,,also if you have someone with you make sure they know what to do in an emergencey....oooops did you bang your head and knock yourself out,,,,oh dear is that a ferry coming towards me ,,,,damn how do i even start this thing
also what no-one has mentioned and im quite peeved that they havent is always tell someone what your plans are where your fishing and what time you will be mooriing up or trailering your boat,and also buy a spare handheld radio and keep it in a dry bag with flares and water

castman
Regular
Regular

Post by castman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks lads for all your info!!! I will try and get a photo loaded, but I, 'm not sure how. I have a fish finder, it came with the boat. I'm not sure what "doel" is but there are no plates on the bottom of the outboard. I was told when I purchased the boat that it has 2 boyence units on the boat (this is where the storage/seating area would be on each side of the boat towards the rear, he said it was unsinkable.

squeaky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by squeaky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:09 pm

my advice 4get the rods and bait pick a suitable day[weather]a quiet slip get use to launching and recovering ur boat and have a spin inshore and get the feel of it in the water,drop anchor and set it spend a hour getting use to it ,this can be a confidence builder between u and ur boat its worth getting a free boat check by rnli who will advise u on safety,life jackets,flares,vhf,spark plug spanner,spare fuel are a must. ;)

harv02redred

Post by harv02redred » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:20 pm

hi ya , i`ve been out on fishing boats in and around the island since i was 7 almost every weekend. now at 32 have my own 16ft seahog shortie and fish southampton water no problems but no matter what i think i know when i venture out into the solent its a whole new ball game. the wind and tide double , it gets so dark you cant see pot bouy`s untill you are on top of them . there are so many hoo ray henry`s and they use you as a marker to tack into the wind( so close ).

i to would forget fishing and go play localy to shore on a good day with a small tide ,just pulling the anchor up by a bouy in wind and tide takes alot of practice.

theres no fish out there anyway, at least i cant find them!!!!

kojak

Post by kojak » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 pm

i also have a boat and the first thing i did was do my radio course this way i always check in with the coastgaurd i always leave details where im going and estimated time of my return.

the solent tide changes drasticlly and i wouldnt go out there without a back up engine as its very busy out there and if your out on a retreating spring tide that can push you out at over 4 knots not trying to put you off but the solent is a very dangerous place if you are unsure, and at night you have to be extra carefull