newbie in need of help

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

newbie in need of help

Post by b1gash » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi all i have been toying this the idea of getting a boat for many years, im now looking not sure on what i want but has to be for fishing,
Any advice would be great on boats navigation and everything els that come with it.

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:35 pm

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Guessing that you will want to mess about in the Thames estuary I would go for an Orkney Longliner - 16 ft which is fine for two, reasonably seaworthy and does not need a big and thirsty motor to push it along at a reasonable speed. Oh and by the way, you don't need a cuddy either - they just get in the way and you ain't going out when it's pouring with rain are you?

b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

Post by b1gash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:19 pm

ya i should have said,
i want it for th wife and me and every now and again some friends.
i found a place to moor the boat in canvey island so ill want to fish around there to start with, till i know what im doing and then i can try els where,
as for the navie im hopping to get one with a boat, but if i dont ill let you know.

i dont know about 16ft boat i was looking at something abit bigger around 20-25 as im abit worried about a small boat out at see, will be ok??????????

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Ah well it doesn't matter how big the boat is, if the weather is rough you don't go mate. My old skipper had a 30 ft angling boat but he still wouldn't take us out if the forecast was for force 5 winds. Also if you are talking that sort of size you are talking a lot of petrol everytime you go and a load of dosh to get the boat and engine on the water. Then you will need to fit it out with GPS, fishfinder, inshore radio all necessary charts and do a course on how to use it. Our local lifeboat station often rescues two or three boats per day at this time of year - taken out by blokes who haven't a clue about navigation, currents, fuel consumption, shipping channels, what navigation buoys are for, etc. There is a lot to learn about going to sea safely.
Having said that I regularly go out 3 or 4 miles in a 14ft dinghy but I do know what I am doing.

b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

Post by b1gash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 pm

thanks for the advice eccles,
do you know of any course's i can take?????
im in london or is there anything on the net???

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:00 pm

the best courses you can take are rya radio operators licence and rya powerboat parts 1and2 you will find information on the RYA website

Dave :D

b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

Post by b1gash » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:19 pm

thanks again dave rya site looks good

pro_hunter

Post by pro_hunter » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:48 pm

little tip save some money and just go straight for the powerboat 2 has the powerboat 1 is worthless and the powerboat 2 has it incorperated in the course

as for the size of the boat for being sea worthy and feeling safe i have many time gone out over 5 nm from shore in a 15ft boat and many times gone out in force 5-6 conditions but same again its a case of practice making perfect and feeling safe out at sea.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm

pro_hunter wrote: as for the size of the boat for being sea worthy and feeling safe i have many time gone out over 5 nm from shore in a 15ft boat and many times gone out in force 5-6 conditions but same again its a case of practice making perfect and feeling safe out at sea.
If I may say so without causing offence, which is not my intention, not good advice for a beginner.

b1gash
Occasional
Occasional

Post by b1gash » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 pm

dont worry eccles i dont think ill be going as fare as that to start with 500 yards sound good to start lol

pro_hunter

Post by pro_hunter » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:26 pm

fair comment eccles but thats why at the top of it it says powerboat 2 at least they need some teaching and then its all down to experimenting with the tackle you have and if you are like me pushign it to its limit and see how far you get it with it still being safe