new trailer

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
feenagh

new trailer

Post by feenagh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 pm

My new trailer was delivered on Tuesday in 3 large packages.
It is an EXT 750 Swing Trailer supplied by Extreme Marine Ltd of Southampton. It is another copy of the Indespension Roller Coaster 1 and was made in China (no surprise there).
We assembled the trailer fairly easily and put the boat on it today(Saturday). This involved taking 2 vehicles and the 2 trailers and boat to Kingsferry bridge launching the boat from the old trailer and recovering it with the new one.
All went smoothly and after a few adjustments I'm pretty pleased - we'll just have to see how it performs over a few trips.
Here are a couple of pics - before and after.

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:43 pm

nice .... reminds me i need a new one

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:48 am

I'd seen that particular trailer advertised by them on Boats and Outboards. They looked good value when compared to Indespension pricing. (Approx 1/2 price) Whilst you need to complete assembly yourself it does amount to a substantial saving.
I used to assemble and sell boat trailers myself several years ago. The important factor in launching and retreiving with no hassle with the swing beam style trailer is the adjustment of the rear roller carriers. The two gangs of rollers need to be JUST close enough together to prevent the sharpest area of the boat bows fouling the swing beam itself. Time taken to acheive this adjustment accurately pays you back many times in hassle free launching and retreiving over future years. The other factor to keep a wary eye on is the rear section of the main frame. In time with multiple launches and recovery the frame begins to sag downwards due to weight forcing the steel to flex. Check that the central roller bearers are adjusted accordingly to ensure the front keel roller is still carrying a suitable proportion of the forward weight.

feenagh

Post by feenagh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 am

You are quite right about the positioning of the various rollers to aid launch and recovery. Another important factor is the position of the axle. There should be about 80lbs or 35-40kilos of weight onto the towbar for good stability when towing. This sort of weight distribution is also helpful when moving the boat and trailer around on a flat surface without a vehicle.