Harbour politics

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
mackycatcher

Harbour politics

Post by mackycatcher »

I heard some examples of harbour politics or cliquiness the other day like...
If you speak to certain people then you're OK but if they see you speaking with another group then you get shunned etc...

If you leave your tender ready to go out, then others will put there tenders all around yours.

Moorings in the better places are all taken ...always.

certain people can't do enough for each other but if you aren't in with them they would stand and watch your boat sink.

I suppose all harbours have their politics.

I'd like to hear of some other examples,
Is there a worst harbour for cliquiness ?...and is that how you spell cliquiness ? :(

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

its the same in our harbour, the vast majority of yatch owners wont give the small private boat owners the time of day unless they get into trouble then they expect you to help them but if its you in trouble they will look the other way, all the small boat owners will bend over to help in anyway they can weather they know you or not, even the commercial lads dont like the attitudes of the yatch owners

Dave :D

clickyness i think lol
Last edited by jacko69 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

Isn't that the same as in any club, although boats do seem to have this sort of behavure more, I'd say if you start catching then they'll all want be be in your gang

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the site, as for your question about harbours and boat owners, the is always friction between sail and power and there always has been since time began.
Cheers keith :D :D

plank
Occasional
Occasional

Post by plank »

and you would know keith
you started it
:D :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Wrong again! it was me Dad Noha when he built the Ark !!! lol lol >:) >:)

Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ribfisher »

jacko69 wrote:its the same in our harbour, the vast majority of yatch owners wont give the small private boat owners the time of day unless they get into trouble then they expect you to help them but if its you in trouble they will look the other way, all the small boat owners will bend over to help in anyway they can weather they know you or not, even the commercial lads dont like the attitudes of the yatch owners

Dave :D

clickyness i think lol
Just seen this and would like to make a comment.
I have or did have fishing boats both large and small.
I had for a short time a yacht.
I found that when in the fishing boats and giving a wave at see i always had an o.k. wave back.

When in the Yacht and giving a wave to a fishing boat 90 percent of the time i was ignored.

So it works both ways.

Nd fishing from a yacht was even worse .
dunno why ..

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull »

I dont know anything about the boat argie-bargie, but

on the important part of the thread, the word clique is a noun so it would be 'is there a worse harbour for cliques'. Cliqueness doesn't work but cliqueish is correct so i assume cliqueishness would work.

This post wont catch you any more fish but it may distract you for a moment from those jonahs the likes of which think they can sail through pirate infested waters and get away with it :-O :-O :-O

Ribfisher
Occasional
Occasional

Hartlepool

Post by Ribfisher »

SO i GUESS you've been to Hartlepool bay then ha ha

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull »

I did go to Hartlepool, last weekend in fact, a 3-3 draw at the Withdean 'Stadium'.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

clickyness i think lol[/quote]
Just seen this and would like to make a comment.
I have or did have fishing boats both large and small.
I had for a short time a yacht.
I found that when in the fishing boats and giving a wave at see i always had an o.k. wave back.

When in the Yacht and giving a wave to a fishing boat 90 percent of the time i was ignored.

So it works both ways.

Nd fishing from a yacht was even worse .
dunno why ..[/quote]

I think this stems from the fact that yachties think that any angling boat enjoying a bit of space and solitude is lonely and needs to be used as a race marker. :D