Shading, what do you think.

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
togiduck

Shading, what do you think.

Post by togiduck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

I have taken up to use my shades for fishing, here is the way I normally set the rig up.
I thread my braid through a plastic boom tube, slip a bead on then tie a swivel clip on, I then tie a swivel onto a 5ft length of mono, then at the other end tie the shad on, this seems to work OK.
I have read the web site of a Whitby skipper, who recommends, threading a 50lb mono throught the boom, with another swivel connecting it to the braid, when I try this it makes the whole rig longer than my rod, I would envisage that when reeling in the rest of the rig would still be in the water and the use of a gaff or net would be required.
What are the members thought on this?

tokai

Post by tokai » Fri May 08, 2009 11:12 am

Hi -

I'm no expert (8 days till my first wrecking trip for 30 years) but...

I've often read that you shouldn't attach your braid directly to your rig, but would have a length of mono (about 30ft, I've read). I thought that would be tied directly to the braid, not with a swivel to connect the two. The argument is that the mono resists abrasion against the wreck or reef better than braid and gives a little bit of stretch to cushion against the first crash dive of a pollack.

It's also not unusual to have a rig that's longer than your rod. If you look for details of a flying collar rig for use with artificial eels, it's often recommended that you have a total trace length of between 12 and 18 feet. So unless you're using a beachcaster...

Cheers,

Tokai

tokai

Post by tokai » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am

Have a look at this site...

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=792

For shads - assuming they're weighted - I've read that people tend to use a "hopper" rig with a trace about 4ft. Sounds like what you're doing.

Tokai

breamer

Post by breamer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Its always safer to tie braid to 30 - 40 feet 30 - 40lb momo some call it the rubbing line, braid dont like rocks at all so the idea is that the mono takes all the rough stuff and can be replaced when damaged bit like a shock leader i suppose the best knot 2 join the rubber is a double grinner strong and dont slip can be seen on here under sea fishing knots . the feel of braid takes a bit of getting used to it was for me after using mono for so many years but the bite and feel of the end tackle is incredible even at 300 feet u can feel everything and the dia of braid is much thinner than its momo equivlent a good braid of say 30lb is same dia as a 4lb standard mono :)