Painting a boat.need help!!

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
seaangler

Painting a boat.need help!!

Post by seaangler »

hi all ive just purchased a cjr 14ft 2birth sea fishing boat/cruiser which is in very good nick with nothing wrong with it except its red on top and white underneath which i dont like, and as im a novice and this is my first boat i was wondering if you could help me, do i need proper boat paint or can i paint it using normal paint and if so how many coats would i need like an undercoat then like 2 coats of paint?

cheers all in advance for your help.
Andrew

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

First of all I would use proper marine paint which aint cheap, second I would not brush it on but spray it on. and third give it a good rubbing down with wet & dry so as to give a good key.

If the top aint in bad condition why not use a rubbing compound to restore the paintwork? Cheers keith :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

basically you are letting yourself in for a heartache (trust me) is it really that bad and as rabbi says can you not use a rubbing compound on it
if your gonna paint it spend the money for someone else to have the hardship i have painted a few boats and they dont come out as you want them to

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

lol good luck and use two pack paint but its not cheap

seaangler

painting my boat

Post by seaangler »

no theres nothing wrong with the paint at all none is flaking off or anything i just dont like it the colour it is, and wanted to change it.

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

First I'm going to reply to your question with another question.
Is the boat allready painted or is it the original gel coat finish?
If the present colour is the original gel coat, DON'T paint it.
You will greatly reduce its resale value if you paint it.
The best wording to sell your boat is the phrase 'original gel finish'

seaangler

painting my boat

Post by seaangler »

hiya mate the boat is already painted the top half above the water line is red and below the waterline is white. i havent got a clue if its the gel coat lol im a complete novice. so you dont think i should paint it? or if i can can i use normal paint or my g/fs dad has his own car garage and spray booth could i paint it using car paint?

cheers mate

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

If it's gel coat, just polish it.
If your dad is a car repairer he should be able to tell at a glance if its gel coat or paint.
Sadly, if you go down the paint route, the best, and more importantly longest lasting finish will be achieved using marine paint products.
The car stuff just isn't produced to work in the harsh marine environment.

crossy

Post by crossy »

hi its normal for boats to be two coulars if your boat is original gell coat you will not be able to scrape any off as its bult into the boat when bult ,if it painted you will be able to scape some paint off just try a small part under a,rubber or window seal do not use car paints try to bring your orginal gell coat back to life with farecla rubbing compounb and plenty of elbow grease they come up great but not a weekend job regards andy.

seaangler

painting my boat

Post by seaangler »

Thanks all for your advise and will post some pics up on theweekend.

cheers agen
andrew

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

I spray painted a small boat(12") once with automotive 2K paint. This did work but required rubbing down with waterpaper and applying a special fiberglass primer that sticks to GRP.

Key point here is that once you go down this route one can never get the boat back to gel coat (coloured polyester resin)

codfisher

Marine paint

Post by codfisher »

Hi folks, just to let you all know, I have plenty of marine paint 5l tins Jotun as i work in the shipping industry and most of the clients dispose of their paint (they pay good money to throw it away). I actually arranged the disposal of 10x5lts of white international topcoat on Friday 17/4/09 there was also 20ltr tins of red, black, white, yellow and bright orange.

So i can get and have marine paint if you need pm me and i will work something out for you.

PS. If you are usuing Jotun paint, if you already have a good paint surface to work with then

2x coats of vinylguard88 on top of old paint
1x coat of antifoul paint on hull
1x coat of topcoat above water line

jotun paints can be sprayed on and is the only way to go if you want a mirror finish.

I do not work for jotun but my clients use them and have been told by the engineers that it is the best paint system they have used.

heres a guide www.ShepherdMarine.com.

paint guide and data sheets

hope this helps.