New to wreck fishing!

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
Beefy1

New to wreck fishing!

Post by Beefy1 »

Hi, being new to wreck fishing - had a look on the internet and there are a load of different lures;- storm shads, eels, jelly worms, butterfly jigs, long jigs etc.....could someone give me the lowdown on the lures...size.. lure weight..colour...and when best to use????

are there any hot favourates for lures - size/colour? does the choice depend on what I am fishing for (whats best for cod & pollock?), location in UK? or colour water? what works well off east coast??

any help much appreciated
Last edited by Beefy1 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Hello Beefy1

I'm also quite new to wreck fishing and am quite keen on getting as much info as well.

I posted a similar question in the boat owners forum about a wreck off Newhaven. The replies I got indicated that there are different techniques for different area's and that local knowledge is best. So hopefully you'll get someone as helpfull as hammyloz for the east.

A college of mine lives and fishes off bightlingsea area told me he anchors up tide of the wreck but the advise I was give for my local area was not to anchor up unless I had money to waste on replacement anchors.

Anyway...some possible useful info I can provide so far is.

1) seach youtube....hopefully a local comercial fisher has posted some video's......it's amazing what one can learn by looking at the lure/rig used when they show shots of the fish being netted.

2) I thought finding the wreck would be hard but as log as one has a gps fish finder and local map...this is quite easy. :D

Tight lines. :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

thanks for the confidence boost there steve
when i wreck fish i use shads quite large ones but i find hokeyes are the best and the only ones i have ever used are luminous green there not expensive so no worries if you get snagged up on the wreck also try and get photos of how the wreck sits and in which direction so when drifting over it you know in your mind what is below you and a bloody good fishfinder does help also a good chartplotter (which i have for sale hint hint) if you want to anchor up uptide make sure you have lots of rope.
hope this has helped in some ways

togiduck

Post by togiduck »

Hi Chaps,

I have been wreck fishing for the past 5 years, sometimes on my boat, sometimes on a charter boat with 10 other people, over the years here are my tips for wreck fishing,
If more than 1 of your are fishing all fish with the same size weight, it avoids snacking other peoples lines.

The more current is flowing the heavier the weight is required to get down to the depths.

As for colours, I have found that at depths of 30meters plus, dark colours work the best.remember at that depth it is dark so the fish go off scent, movement more than colours.

Be prepared to loss heaps of gear, I have found taking the triple hook off a ripper and replacing with a single hook just as effective and with less snacks and therefore losses.

I always have a wire trace to hand, as in the past somthing big has taken the fish I have caught, so I replace the rig with a wire trace and a large chunk of bait, this has paid dividens and I have caught the odd portbeagle.

Hope this of some help, I have lots of fun wreck fishing, and it is where I have caught my biggest fish.

Beefy1

Post by Beefy1 »

thanks alot guys for these tips, a good starter for 10.

If anyone who wreck fish the east coast has any hot tips (what lures seem to produce best results and what doesn't) that would be great, cheers

Beefy1

Post by Beefy1 »

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Excellent....thanks beefy1

Where did you go... how far out....was there a lot caught

did you catch? :D

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

hi saffersteve, me[westy] beefy1 and 3 other of my firends was wrecking out of levington which is about 5miles away from felixstowe suffolk. i posted a full report on east forum if you wanted a read. cheers westy

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

steve i am just having an engine replacement done and it should be ready within a couple of weeks so give me a shout and we can go to my secret spot(you will be blindfolded lol) where you will catch cod,bass to you hearts content
i look forward to it as i have not been out this season yet and was gutted i got your invite 2 days after the date if your out this weekend give me a shout but the weather dont look to good

back to the post....glad you guys had a good day and have you now bought your own boat????

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

hi hammyloz, ive had i boat for the last 6years ive got a 17ft wilson flyer with a 55hp engine max speed 28kts on a flat sea

jake

Post by jake »