Fishing From An Inflatable

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
swampybass

Fishing From An Inflatable

Post by swampybass »

Hi all I'm looking to get out fishing in my inflatable but don't really know where to start.
I'm getting together all the safety gear i may need , and know safety comes first .

Just need help as to where to go ,in the south east / Kent area , can i launch from a beach if not where can i launch .

I'm not looking to go to far out just enough to increase my chances.

Any help will be much appreciated .

Cheers Paul :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

hmmm inflatable + hooks nice mixture
if you can carry the inflatable you can launch wherever you like

MJB

Post by MJB »

hammyloz wrote:hmmm inflatable + hooks nice mixture
if you can carry the inflatable you can launch wherever you like
I'm guessing that swampy's talking about RIBs and not childs toys. You will find it bloody difficult to puncture one with a hook. I know several people who use them for fishing and think they're ideal for the job.

feenagh

Post by feenagh »

Hello swampybass
I see you are based in Medway so Gillingham pier slipway(only about 1/4 Tidal range for launch and recovery) would be a good place to fish the Estuary. Barton's Point and Sheppey Yacht Club both have very good tidal range for fishing inshore around the north side of the island. I believe all of these slipways are free.(You can park safely and free at Barton's)
You should get yourself some charts. Imray chart numbers 2100.1 and 2100.2 and Admiralty Chart 2482 would get you started or buy a Folio of Tough Charts for the local area which are waterproof.
Regards Paul

swampybass

Post by swampybass »

Hi all thank you for the response and yes its a proper inflatable not a toy lol

Paul a question to your response.... what is ment by 1/4 tide? :-S

feenagh

Post by feenagh »

Hello Swampybass
If a slipway is described as all tidal it means you can launch and recover your boat throughout the full range of the tide. Queenboro' is I believe all tidal(it is very long and narrow and has a bend in it so will test your reversing skills). Barton's Point is described as 3/4 tidal so you can launch and recover 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours either side of high tide and I think Sheppey Yacht Club is the same. Gillingham is limited I think to 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours either side of high tide. Get it wrong and you could have a long wait until there is sufficient water to recover your boat.
Regards Paul
P.S Have a look at www.boatlaunch.co.uk