Page 1 of 1

Fitting a bilge plug

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:21 am
by magicdog
Hi - my first post so be gentle... :)

I have a 17' Tidemaster open sea boat (GRP) and it has no drain or bilge plug for emtying water from the hull.

It looks as if there may have been one or the design has allowed for the possibility of fitting one but I need some advice as I'm not very knowledgeable about boats.

I would happily drill a hole through the stern in the correct place but I'm pretty sure the hull is double-skinned and obviously i want to ensure that water cannot get between the layers.

Anyone offer some advice or is there anyone in the South of England who could do this for me (paid of course...!)...?


Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 pm
by tomcat
The stern of your boat shouldn't have any void between the inner and outer grp skins. It is formed by glassing a section of marine ply to the outer skin of the stern and then grp is applied on the inside to form the strong sandwich required to carry the outboard. The best transom drains I have fitted comprise of a short nylon flow tube that is sealed into the hole you drill through the transom. This permits free flow of water when the bung is removed whilst preventing the water ingressing the transom ply. I don't know your particular craft, it may be fitted with an inner moulding that conceals the transom area, if this is the case you need to ensure you have sufficient flow tubing to span the gap. Hope this helps. George.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:19 pm
by hammyloz
welcome to the boating forums
advice is as above from tomcat also i have no drain plug in my boat but have an auto bilge pump and also 2 hand ones my advice is to fit an auto bilge pump
question: have you got an outboard or inboard engine?????
if you have an inboard with a sterndrive and you are getting water into the bilge my stern(haha) advice to you is check your bellows as they will be leaking which in turn will rust up the universal joints and if its mercruiser it will also sieze your gimbal bearing if volvo penta it will rip up yuor bellhousing
if however you have an outboard then look for a hole in the hull

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:25 pm
by magicdog
Thanks for the replies.

It's an outboard and the water is getting in only over the gunnels and when it rains - I just need an easy way to drain the boat when I'm back on dry land.

I will look into the drain with pipe method as the last thing I want is water getting between the inner and outer skin... :-S

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:27 pm
by hammyloz

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm
by magicdog
Great...many thanks - I think I'll do both as a bilge pump is always useful :D