The best boat fishing tip

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

The best boat fishing tip

Post by sniggle »

The best advice i was given is to `Keep It Simple'. Do without zip sliders , french booms, tube booms you do not need them unless you are fishing very deep water. A link swivel to hang the lead on stopped by a bead against the trace swivel a trace with one or two hooks does for 90% of drop down boat fishing. If you drop it down SLOWLY under control the current will keep the hook clear of main line.
If you have put the bait on so that it behaves like a propeller no boom will stop the tangles.

dabr

Post by dabr »

i agree, simple rigs and a minimum of 25lb snood line should keep everything flowing nicely down there.

pro_hunter

Post by pro_hunter »

dont agree at all with that statement, why should it matter what you have on the end tackle as to being a tip to boat fishing ???

i never use anything other than zip sliders as your bite recognision is much much better then if you have a lead thats stuck in the sand or any other snag and a fish comes along has a go at it and feels resistance then they are away lol no fish

speak top most of the match boat fisherman and they will agree with zip sliders and they are a cert for the bigger fish ie the tope,smothies etc etc

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

pro_hunter wrote:dont agree at all with that statement, why should it matter what you have on the end tackle as to being a tip to boat fishing ???

i never use anything other than zip sliders as your bite recognision is much much better then if you have a lead thats stuck in the sand or any other snag and a fish comes along has a go at it and feels resistance then they are away lol no fish

speak top most of the match boat fisherman and they will agree with zip sliders and they are a cert for the bigger fish ie the tope,smothies etc etc
considering your putting these forums down hunter i consider this tip youve just given a very valuable one and will try both ways

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="pro_hunter"]dont agree at all with that statement, why should it matter what you have on the end tackle as to being a tip to boat fishing ???
speak top most of the match boat fisherman and they will agree with zip sliders and they are a cert for the bigger fish ie the tope,smothies etc etc[/quote]

So it`s not important what end tackle you use but yet zip sliders
1. make the fish bite harder
2. are snag proof
3. cause less resistance than a link swivel
4. guarantee big tope and smoothies
did you read this off the zip slider packet because if it was true it would definately be printed there.

dabr

Post by dabr »

pro_hunter wrote:dont agree at all with that statement, why should it matter what you have on the end tackle as to being a tip to boat fishing ???

it would matter if you were a novice thinking of buying or just bought a fishing boat checking this forum out for advice. sliders are ok i use them on a couple of back rods they can get snagged with weed sometimes, when you stop your line running through though does this not cause resistance,mind you if you present your bait properly the fish should hook itself, sliders dont work very well at slack water i havnt caught any bigger hounds etc on sliders than i have on my flapper rig.for tope ive caught as many freelining as i have on sliders which comes right back to the tip keep it simple

tokai

Post by tokai »

My tips for charter boats (based on a short and nor particularly illustrious career)...

Some of the recommended lengths of traces just ain't practical. Even with three anglers on a boat, fishing for bass with live mackerel on 12ft traces ended up with immense tangles. We had to shorten to 3 to 4ft, but that worked fine.

If there's someone who has been there, done that, knows more than the skipper, caught bigger fish than the skipper's ever seen... ignore him. Take the skipper's advice, not his.

Always wear waterproof boots. Wellies or equivalent.

Everyone always says, "ask the skipper before you go" about what tackle they recommend. I've tried this and they've all been pretty vague. Either that or it really doesn't make much difference whether you're using jelly worms or shads. I've never been able to get one to tell me to go and buy three or four XYZ lures in green and purple stripes.

It doesn't help when skippers only tell you at 7 p.m. the night before that you'll be going after plaice so you need to get some rag.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

When boat fishing my standard rig is a 2 hook flapper with a running ledger, that is unles I am targeting Tope, Ray or Smoothhounds.

This remains the same wether deep or shallow water, the only thing that changes is the strenth of the end tackle.

This has served me well for the last ???yrs and I see no reason to change.
Cheers keith :D

tokai

Post by tokai »

Hi, Keith -

I'm trying to picture a two hook flapper with a running ledger. Does that mean that the flapper IS the running ledger, or that you've got three hooks on there?

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad »

im quite new to boat fishing and have found baited mackeral feathers are a good all round method and i just use a basic running ledger for doggies and huss and the same for the tope just using heavy tackle are there any crticism is welcome could use the help to outfish the resident loudmouth that comes with us :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

It means that I use three hooks, ie a running ledger with a two hook flapper above. that way your targeting bottom and mid water species.

Try it and let me know how you get on.
Cheers keith :D :D

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad »

i know a realy good tip works every time DONT FALL IN!!! =)) =))

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

rabbi2 wrote:It means that I use three hooks, ie a running ledger with a two hook flapper above. that way your targeting bottom and mid water species.

Try it and let me know how you get on.
Cheers keith :D :D
I agree with Keith a two up one down covers just about everything. If the tide is running hard You can lengthen the bottom snood and shorten it when the tide slows. To attach the bottom rig I use old fashioned french booms that are easy to change over quickly as the tide /drift speed changes. It also allows you to fish different/combination baits depending on what you hope to catch. Obviously there are rigs that are designed to tempt specific fish but very few are not based on the two up one down rig I have also fished for ??? years and this rig, with the exception of tope and pollack fishing, is the first out of the wallet.
mac

FATFISH

Post by FATFISH »

Dont get pissed the night before you go .......................Trust me ;)

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="FATFISH"]Dont get pissed the night before you go .......................Trust me ;)[/quote]

:D More a survival tip than a fishing tip but 100% correct, you do not catch many fish if you are lying in the bottom of the boat groaning.