TR Thompson Wreck off Newhaven (copy from south east forum)

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
SafferSteve

TR Thompson Wreck off Newhaven (copy from south east forum)

Post by SafferSteve »

Hi

Newbie here to the forum and liking what I see....lots of good info.

Ever heard the saying all the gear no idea....Well that me winking

Got myself a little 18" cabin boat last year and had a great time fishing for black bream,Mackrel just off Peacehaven and thornbacks,dogs(pests) off Brightlingsea....however I want to do some "proper" fishing now and need a little advice.

Hope I'm not offending anyone when I say that the fish above don't put up much of a fight and even the thornbacks are like winching in a kite in a strong tide.

To be fair the bream does give a good account for it's size.

So now I'm looking to fish a wreck off Newhaven for Cod or something that's got a good fight and is good for the pan.

The wreck I'm looking to try is the TR Thompson and believe I'll be able to find it with GPS and sonar but once there I don't really know what I should be doing.

Do I drift over?.....trying not to catch a diver or do I anchor up. Is there some etiquette to be followed with the dive boats, commercial fisher boats? What bait/lures do I use. Do these wrecks fish well in March? What fish should I be targeting? Any clues on fishing rigs?

Please any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Not my area Im afraid, but if divers are about the it should be well marked with a bouy. One of the local lads will be alongf and hopefully be more helpful
Oh by the way a warm welome to the forums. Cheers keith :D :D

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Hi Keith

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Will keep an eye out for the dive bouys ;)

PS would you recommend braid or nylon for divers :D :D :D

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Bit slow on the replies.....Guys.

Anyone got any helpfull info??

Has anyone used one of the Fishing Charter boats over any wrecks?

Did they drift....or anchor up?

Are there any rule to be observed around the wreck or is it just a free for all?

Did you lose a lot of tackel because they drift over the top....I'm really new to wreck fishing. help!

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Difficult to be specific as I don't know the area or wreck. However, I'll try and help. If there are divers on the wreck when you arrive. You leave, it's their wreck. If you snagged one, worst case scenario could see you in court for manslaughter. Highly unlikely, but do you really want to risk thumping a big treble hook into a fellow human being. The reverse applies if they arrive at a wreck you are fishing, they should, for safetys sake, regard it as yours. If divers have been swarming all over a wreck it usually displaces any fish for some time anyway.
To anchor or drift is very specific to the individual wreck. The deeper the water the greater the degree of difficulty of anchoring the boat in a position uptide of the wreck to fish it. Really deep water (in excess of 50m) wrecks are generally fished on the drift. Yes they can be tackle hungry. But the fish use them as sanctuary and if you are not losing some tackle you aren't in the productive zone. Best of luck, finding and fishing a wreck for the first time is a great experience. Make the most of the experience. Once you locate the wreck on the sonar, zoom in as close as the gps will allow and keep marking the screen with the wreck as it shows on the sonar on slightly different drifts. this will build a picture as to which direction the wreck lies and which bits prove to be the most productive.

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Hey Tomcat

Thank, This is really helpful.

I've had a hook in the shoulder from a careless caster on a pier before and don't wish that on any fellow.

There are 3 wrecks within a 5mile radius so hopeful I'll find one unoccupied.

So first on the mark is the owner however probabaly not a good Idea to upset the locals (Guys trying to make a living from fishing or diving) I also guess that these are the best guys to watch and learn from.

A mate lent me a DVD of a bloke fishing for polock on the drift and he used a trace that looks like a treble with a short leg to an appropriate lead for the depth and an 8" trace. This did seem long and did get tangled but then he put a swivel half way along.

Is this a normal rig or do you recomend something else.

Any bait suggestions for this time of year.....or do I just use the good old faithfull squid.

I'm hoping for a little bit of beginers luck and will post up any catches we hopefully get.

cheers

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Like I said at the start of my initial response. You are out of my area of local knowledge. I am unaware of the wrecks location, depth, tidal strength etc. Take the time to seek a local boat owner who has fished the area. If I am drifting wrecks for Pollock using artificials I tend to use redgill eels on a long (15 to 20 foot) nylon trace with a tiny swivel about midway. I fish this on a flying collar rig using self made very long stainless steel booms. (about 15 inches long) The extra long boom keeps the eel well away from the mainline on the drop towards the bottom. If Cod are your target either a pirk or weight with a few feathers or similar on droppers above usually does the job. Inshore wrecks are also well worth targetting using live sandeel for Bass too.

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

thompson

Post by hammyloz »

hi buddy i am from eastbourne and my boat is at simpsons in newhaven so obviously i go out from there ...lo
i used to fish the thompson regularly when the divers aint there but imho it has been overfished as for directions getting there come out of the harbour an go south for 8-9 miles you cant miss it on the gps if you look for me on a nice day im in a red white an blue 21ft morebas called la serina
also if it is a nice calm day you will see quite a few boats there
DO NOT anchor up unless you have plenty of spare anchors or money to buy them,depending on tide just drift over it, if you stay back an just watch the boats you will soon learn where to start and finish drifting.
watch this to get an idea of what she looks like
also visit here http://trthompson.blogspot.com/

hopefully i will see you on the weekends
failing that give me a ring an i will come out with you 07733453826

SafferSteve

Post by SafferSteve »

Thanks hammyloz

Looking to launch next week sunday the 22nd hope it as good as today. Thanks for the tip about anchoring as I was going to do this. I hope it's not too overfished....is the Oceana any better?

Got to love you tube and dives with camera's.

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

last time i fished the oceana i had non stop bass but that was october time and she is hard to find but once you find her mark the waypoint on your plotter and then you can find easy.
but as said i had non stop bass smallest being about 5lb,a good mark to go is the sewage(i know yuk) outlet in between brighton pier and newhaven(it is marked up) find the big green buoy and anchor up 100yds behind it(out to sea lol) that is an excellent spot for flatties failing that lol head over to seaford head about 2 miles out is another good spot for doggies an bass and you will see a lot of charters there and if you wait till the cod season again it is famous for producing a weeks dinner, good luck and email me at weekends to see if im heading out (hammyloz@aol.com) and i will show you some good spots which im not prepared to write down an give away