Fitted Doel Fin to Mercury 25HP

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
feenagh

Fitted Doel Fin to Mercury 25HP

Post by feenagh »

Went out yesterday fishing in the Medway Approach Channel.
The Doel Fin cut down on the turbulence we were experiencing but although we tried different trim positions the boat was slower by 2 knots.
The trip out was against the tide and so was the trip in with top speed of only 12 knots. Previously top speed was 14 knots against the tide and 18 knots with the tide.
I'm not sure but maybe the fin is too big. Anyway it's coming off and I'll have 4 holes to fill in the cavitation plate. (A new Suzuki 40 HP could be on the cards).
I plan to countersink the holes from each side and use car body filler. Anybody got any advice on this one?
Regards Paul

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Car body filler is porous. There is a metal filler on the market that you can use. Not sure of the name of it unfortunately. Cheers keith

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »

feenagh

Post by feenagh »

Thanks for the replies. Bought Evo Stick Hard and Fast from Halfords - a 2 colour stick that you cut a piece off and kneed until the colours merge - you then have about 5 minutes before it begins to set. I rubbed it down an hour later and spray painted the cavitation plate.
It looks near perfect and survived a trip out into the Medway Approach Channel yesterday.
Thanks again
Regards Paul