Tohatsu info?

All topics related to owning your own boat here.
peteo

Tohatsu info?

Post by peteo »

Thinking of buy a Tohatsu 30hp for boat. has anyone any info on reliability and performance on these engines its a 2002 model 2 stroke.

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Crossy, on this forum had a 60hp Tohatsu on a previous craft. I'd never used a Tohatsu until then. I have to admit that I was a Yamaha man. Having owned them on my last 3 boats. The Tohatsu performed smoothly and efficiently in the same manner as my Yams had done. From that first day I decided that I wouldn't rule them out if I required another engine. My current boat came fitted with a Mercury 25. I have replaced this now with a Tohatsu 25, uprated to 30hp by the supplying dealer. The Tohatsu sounds so much more refined than the Merc'. I think the standard of the 2 stroke Japanese engines are streets ahead of the oposition. A sad reflection of how manufacturing excellence has headed East. Keep on top of the paintwork, this seems to be the weak point on older Tohatsu.

peteo

Post by peteo »

Thanks for info i have only owned yams and honda's, i'm selling my 25hp yam to fund this one, the Tohastu is 11 years newer, hope i'm doing the right thing. thanks again

maddmick
Regular
Regular

Post by maddmick »

hi i had a 12hp tohatsu as a spare and when out with friends with there sail boats used to use it as more economical, it was a 2-stroke 1974 came origanal as a package with an orkney longliner, and is still going strong and will start first or second pull even after sitting in the locker for months, it is now years old and never been apart only for engine mounts, plugs and impellors a great engine to me :D

peteo

Post by peteo »

had the 30hp tohatsu for a month now it runs sweet as a nut, bit of pain to start when cold but when warmed up its great, pushes my little cjr at 27 knots at full throttle but very economical at half at 15 - 20 knots dont need much more than that, may even buy a small auxilary tohatsu much lighter engines :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I have a brand new one 5hp for the small seahog star 12ft, nice bit of kit/
CXheers keith :D :D

hammyloz
Regular
Regular

Post by hammyloz »