Southend on sea 12/05/12

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
MickMull

Southend on sea 12/05/12

Post by MickMull » Sun May 13, 2012 6:53 am

Due to the comment about lack of posts, thought I'd share yesterday wiv ya ;-)
It's a yak report & I have put it in the Thames bit coz that's where I was ;-)

Headed down to my usual free parking spot & set up. 8-)
The tide had hit the beach a bit earlier than anticipated so headed out to the usual spot just past the Mulberry.
Baited up with a lovely juicy softie which was soon gobbled up by a doggie, what a waste.
I was only fishing for three & 1/2 hours, but it was non stop.

Had loads of these;-

Had loads of these, (sometimes 3 at a time);-

Had 2 of these;-

Couldn't believe it, had 2 of these (very small);-

Had the sabikis off the back as usual & when the bell started ding a linging I thought must be a macky or garfish but no this fella, like the little codling obviously doesn't know what month it is. A herring ;D ;D

I could hear someone shouting Mick, Mick. It was my mate with the starfish with a group of day fishermen on a charter. Just as we shouted catch reports at each other & they sailed off into the horizon, one of me rods was doing a right Irish jig, lo & behold a nice bass just under the 3lb mark ;D ;D
Bought a few home (including one of the tiny cod who died on the operating table.
I don't think I've ever had to paddle so hard back into that stiff Northerly breeze, I'm totally knackered :P :P

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:04 am

Great report and cracking pics, thanks for both. By the way it's nice to see someone still using the old Mitchell reels. Can't make out the rod apart from it being an uptider.
Cheers
keith :D :D

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Sun May 13, 2012 7:38 am

rabbi2 wrote: it's nice to see someone still using the old Mitchell reels. Can't make out the rod apart from it being an uptider.
Cheers
Old & simple is best from the yak (they get quite wet). Had the Mitchell reels for over 30 years, just need an occasional stripping & greasing. I have another old spinning rod off the back of the yac with sabikis for mackerel etc, there's a bakelite Penn on that one ;-) The rods are cheapies too ;-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:55 am

Just recently I have been purchasing the old intrepid Seastreaks, good all rounder beach, boat, pier and they can be had for very little money. Strips down in secs.

Cheers

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer » Sun May 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Smashing photos and report MM

Thanks for posting

Cheers macer

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Sun May 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Glad to see you are getting out mickmull. Not sure wots going on, everyone else seems to be finding time to get out but me :(( .
I haven't even done that much boat fishing but the times i have been out they have been good days.
Was you wearing a dry suit when you went out, if so how do you find them?.
For the last couple of months i have been thinking of upgrading my SOT yak to a proper fishing SOT yak like yours.
When you fish the mullberry i take it you are at anchor. Does the tide rip through there?
If the oppotunity should arise this year i will try and get out with you if thats ok with you.

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 am

seaweed wrote:Glad to see you are getting out mickmull. Not sure wots going on, everyone else seems to be finding time to get out but me :(( .
I haven't even done that much boat fishing but the times i have been out they have been good days.
Was you wearing a dry suit when you went out, if so how do you find them?.
For the last couple of months i have been thinking of upgrading my SOT yak to a proper fishing SOT yak like yours.
When you fish the mullberry i take it you are at anchor. Does the tide rip through there?
If the oppotunity should arise this year i will try and get out with you if thats ok with you.
Hi Seaweed
I always wear the dry-suit, it gets a bit sweaty when paddling especially the 40mins out to the Mulberry. When you sitting out there for a while it could get a bit chilly in a wet suit. The tide rips though like you wouldn't believe, I had to change my anchor from a grapnel to a plough type & now could probably stay put in the Bristol channel.
PM me when you plan to get out if you want we could try two tree for bass as it's a bit easier there

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy » Tue May 15, 2012 9:12 pm

looks a great way to fish and good to see such a variety of species caught :)

how easy is it to get set up for kayak fishing? Any advice for someone who knows nothing?

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Most people use the Anglers Afloat site for info
http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/
They have a good forum with all you need to know. The initial outlay is a fair bit especially the yak & the dry suit, although plenty sell off their set ups when they realise they aint got the time away from work etc to do it regular enough. ;)

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi mickmull,
yeh will have to let you know when i have got some free time to come out with you. Feels like ages since i've been out even for just a paddle. Might have to wait for it to warm up a bit as i only have a wet suit. Hopefully summer is on its way. Today could off been a good day for an outing, light winds and fairly warm. But, theres always a but, i ended up getting involved in other things. :D

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Sat May 19, 2012 10:03 pm

stillsy wrote:looks a great way to fish and good to see such a variety of species caught :)

how easy is it to get set up for kayak fishing? Any advice for someone who knows nothing?

Hi stillsy,
as mickmull has said look at the anglers afloat site. If you do want to get afloat choose your craft carefully. I have seen many SOT on the water, some better than others. You need to decide what type of water you want the Yak to cope with as they are rated for diffrent types of sea conditions. It can be an expensive lay out, but once you've got it and been out on the water O boy what a diffrent world.

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy » Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

thanks for the guys - I have had a look at the site you recommended and its seems really useful.

As it's my 50th next year may have to smile sweetly at the Mrs for a pressie :D