OJ. Then calling it a day.

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

OJ. Then calling it a day.

Post by actionsanta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Am I right in thinking, that the OJ pier is the one on canvey? The L shaped one behind Morrisions.

I plan to fish that in a couple of weeks before I sell all my sea gear! (getting bored of it now, due to state of Thames, no catches etc)

On a good day in winter, what species would I expect to catch? Is it best when windy? Can I catch even if it's raining?

Any help would be great.

I will use the tackle auction thingy, to sell my gear, so keep an eye out! Gunna buy the kids an Xbox instead
Tight lines

Snagger

OJ

Post by Snagger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Action,

very sorry to here you are leaving the sport but I know where your coming

from.

Not fished the O/J myself but have been told there is a fierce tide run so use a

couple of bricks for weight's.

Tim B-)

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I agree with your reasons for being disapointed with catch levels this year but to be honest it would be more cost effective to just visit your local Fishmongers if it was just about the Fish, in my opinion it is more about getting out in the fresh air, meeting up with others and having a good time any Fish that are caught are a BONUS.......................Cheers JOLI :D

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks Tim.

I feel its a shame. I love Fishing, but it has declined massively over the years.

Unless we sea anglers start paying towards our sport via a license, I cant see things getting better. I know throwing money at a problem doesnt solve anything, but we could learn a massive lesson from the course angling world. I know some views are that, the license fee would only pay for the civil servents who would be needed to write legislation to enforce our sport

I know this sounds easy, but I think that if the coast was divided into sections, and each section managed by a team that is paid for by the license. We could manage the first mile out to sea from our coastline (from an anglers point of view). By ensuring all that can be done is to preserve stocks, maintain water quality, ensure no commercial fishing for the first mile, closed seasons for spawning etc

But my main gripe is the new superport. Yes it will bring much needed jobs and money for our doomed economy. But it has ruined the quality of the river.

I read the other day that a rare bird was spotted at Rainham marshes. This is no coincdence! Local experts have been working really hard maintaining the marshes (planting etc). This has paid dividens.

What do you think?

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I SAW THAT RARE BIRD AT RAINHAM

IT WAS AN 18 YEAR OLD THAT WASNT PUSHING A PRAM :D :D :D :D

joliroger

Post by joliroger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 pm

HE HE HE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =))

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

joliroger wrote:I agree with your reasons for being disapointed with catch levels this year but to be honest it would be more cost effective to just visit your local Fishmongers if it was just about the Fish, in my opinion it is more about getting out in the fresh air, meeting up with others and having a good time any Fish that are caught are a BONUS.......................Cheers JOLI :D

I couldnt agree more. However there are less expensive ways of getting out in the fresh air!

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Spot on Joli - One of the reasons I fish is to get away from the wife! I can't do that in the fishmongers - I keep seeing her staring up at me from the slab (or at least it looks like her!) LOL.

Cheers, Geoff :D :D :D

Snagger

fishing

Post by Snagger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi all,

I also agree with Jolli. well said mate. :) :)

With reference to a licence, I completely disagree, why should we pay for

something that, yet again, belongs to us all ? Also what ever fee we pay would

make no difference to the fish stocks it is the way the commercial fishermen

catch the fish and what is done with there catch as per stupid quota's

without taking into consideration pollution etc .

We the pleasure Anglers are not blameless either, for example, on the

30th of this month at Dungerness the World Dab Championship is being

held, there could be 100 + anglers there, and this is not a catch and

release match, they may say it cant be catch and release as it is a

roaming match and not pegged, no excuse, fish in groups, weigh measure

and verified by rest of the group, in the last 5 yrs I have taken 3 fish for

the table and put back countless fish.

I say, do away with the quota system, do away with size limits for

commercial fisherman, introduce a total weight of catch limit and if some

of the fish are small, there is always fish fingers/fish pies/fish cakes, the

list of edible products that contain fish goes on and on.

put in a protection zone and enforce it as other nations do.

sorry guy's but I feel really strongly on this subject as i know a lot of you

do too.

Tim B-)

Ps:- well spotted Roy I must have missed her =)) =)) =))

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:18 pm

actionsanta wrote:
Unless we sea anglers start paying towards our sport via a license, I cant see things getting better.
How this would makes things better im not sure? I think points are being made on channel 4 about fish stocks. I dont think its shore anglers that should be footing the bill here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but how it would work with a licence and how they would police it would be another matter. Also how the money would be spent without lining politicians pockets would be another matter.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm

rather than give a long report ill just say thanks tim .i couldent of put it better mate my exact thoughts on the matter
steve

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:
actionsanta wrote:
Unless we sea anglers start paying towards our sport via a license, I cant see things getting better.
How this would makes things better im not sure? I think points are being made on channel 4 about fish stocks. I dont think its shore anglers that should be footing the bill here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but how it would work with a licence and how they would police it would be another matter. Also how the money would be spent without lining politicians pockets would be another matter.
There are 5581 miles of coastline in the uk! There are 1000 of miles of rivers, lakes and canals in the uk. If you try your luck and go course fishing without a rod license or river pass, in any of these You will be caught! This is because each stretch of water has a dedicated policing team. Who walk up and down stoping at each angler to check his pass.
I know in Southend they have a foreshore team, maybe this could be added to there job description? The money raised from the license fee pays for these people. It also invest money into the waterways and rivers of the uk by ensuring that rules are applied and stuck to.

I did not mean to stir up your emotions, or cause any grief. With over a million sea anglers in the uk alone. We are all going to have different views on such matters. No one is right or wrong. Not untill we get a say in such matters that involve the sport we all love.

I suppose the same could be said for football. Is it fair that season tickets are so higly priced? Are the players/club really worth that much each year? It is if your prepared to part with the money.

Snagger

fishing

Post by Snagger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi All,

I was as, we all do, just airing my own personal view on this matter, I also

think that in the last 40yrs or so the majority of the population has has

become so wrapped up in there own lives, not meant in a detrimental way,

that we simply don't have the time and or ability to make a difference as the

power of the people has been severely diluted by successive governments in

particular the Thatcher area even though I voted for her and think she done a

better job than a lot of them, I really do not wish to offend anyone with

what I say, these are just my views.

bring back the 1980's Cod fishing that's what I say but i don't think It will

happen in my lifetime.

Tim B-)

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:49 am

Spend more money buying yourself a yak mate, I fish off Southend & have only blanked once in the last year. Not going out at the mo as 1. it's too windy & 2. until the sprats f off in a few weeks the fish are busy eating them to worry about chomping on what we have to offer.
My advice don't give up, have a month off. :)

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 am

MickMull wrote:Spend more money buying yourself a yak mate, I fish off Southend & have only blanked once in the last year. Not going out at the mo as 1. it's too windy & 2. until the sprats f off in a few weeks the fish are busy eating them to worry about chomping on what we have to offer.
My advice don't give up, have a month off. :)
Great advice, you will only regret selling up and have to start again ;)