Spratts and melt water......your views

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
Snagger

boat

Post by Snagger »

You can't win them all Tinny =)) =)) =))

Tim B-)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i dout anyone will win anything in the thames if this carries on the way it is .we will all be in the same boat a lossing one. still they say plenty more fish in the sea so it,s said .but for how long when things like this happen i say
steve

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

OK

Post by tinny »

SORRY BOYS FOR THE EARLIER OUTBURST..AND MY APOLOGIES TO YOU COLIN FOR HAVING TO EDIT MY RANT...AT HOME HAVING STEAK JACKET POTATOE AND A GLASS OF WINE AND FEELING LESS REBELIOUS .

TIGHT LINES

martin

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

no worries mate.......

petzel

Post by petzel »

hi all its been 18months since I was able to post mainly because I had to give up the phone/broadband due to severe financial difficulties, anyway if I may add a little something to this forum, I have been out on my mates boat over the past several months and I can tell you that we were in to good fish from the off, we went out from Holehaven and went and anchored up a 1/4 of a mile from the huge works up river and across from the black pier, we were into really big whiting, dogfish, there were even reports of skate coming out further down river, along with very good bass but these were being netted right on the edges of the tide so I dont really think that all the dredging is doing too much to ruin the fishing although I do agree that is taking an effect most of the fish we were catching were in 30 - 50 ft of water, I would be interested in any remarks you gents may have cheers

alien
Occasional
Occasional

Post by alien »

Some disturbing reading. Especially westy's report of what sounds like a tumor on a fish, cod that are white etc.

Maintenance and aggregate dredging are carried out on a regular basis throughout the year in the Thames; for example the Princes Channel dredge, which was a six mile dredge carried out in 2006-2008, improved safety and led to lower emissions as it reduced shipping times.

Copied from this site

http://www.londongateway.com/portal/pag ... the-Thames

Snagger

Thames

Post by Snagger »

Does anyone know how long this dredging is gona take ???

Tim B-)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi tim not to sure but if the report in tinys link is right it not a short time thing if there giveing commercial fishermen compensation for loss of there lively hoods
steve

Snagger

Thames

Post by Snagger »

I was thinking it gona take 5-10 yrs

Tim B-)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi tim ive even been onto the port of london today and they cant tell or wont say how long

Snagger

Thames

Post by Snagger »

Hi Steve,

I will take a look at other dredging done in the Estuary, how far and deep and

how long it took to do, maybe that way I can estimate the time scale.

TimB-)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi tim it says a depth of 17 mts /56ft in the shiping lane and upto 20km in length on the link tiny put up .i have emailed the web site that tiny put up and ask them if they can tell us how long it will take . i will bloody find out one way or another .got the bit between the few teeth ive got left now
steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

I knew it was a big dredge but 300 mtrs wide that is a serious width !!!!!!!!!!!!, can you imagine the 'wash 'these boats are gonna throw up it will be like mini 'sunarmi', you cant displace that much silt /crap without affecting the eco-system .

JOLI :-S

Snagger

Thames

Post by Snagger »

Well done Steve :D :D :D,

so it looks like maybe 3-4yrs dredging work will be in the Thames as far as

shoeburyness.

The original plans showed that dredging goes as far up as the port of

Felixstowe, it also showed there to be an area, several miles, leading up to

Felixstowe that has previously had no deep water channel at all therefore I

assumed the entire dredge would take around 10-12yrs.

If this has badly affected fish populations in the Thames I wonder how long

it will take to recover.

Tim B-)