Spratts and melt water......your views

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Spratts and melt water......your views

Post by kopitecol »

whilst i was out on skerry belle at the weekend (sat 4th dec 2010) i noticed all the whiting coming up full off spratts........normally there is a noticable influx off these little pests and we hear about it from other anglers. no word so far! is that because people are not getting out much? saw seagulls following the container ships but not diving.

the second item on the agenda is melt water, this is more off a statement of personal opinion! if the melt is anything like the last time we had snow it will kill the estuary dead in days as the waters dont mix very well. might be worth moving to more coastal areas like walton rather than rivers such as the thames, crouch and blackwater as all the melting snow has a higher concentration in the estuaries ......

any other business gentlemen?

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

If the Sprat are in the Estuary , ain't a good sign it's about 3 weeks too early!! ...................could be might as well put the rods away . however, the first run don't seemed to have happened at all so it might skip a turn and produce an early new year run .................when ????, you tell me anyones guess, just have to keep 'plugging away'to find out, might not happen at all though,........ could the deep channel dregging be having an effect ???.

As mentioned the 'Melt water' won't help at all it provides 'layers' that wont mix,combined with all the crap churned up further out might just be keeping the fish out, one factor that hasn't beeen considered is the Temprature basically it is too cold and they are staying out in the deeper water..................JOLI :-S

p.s just wondering why Walton is so poor at the moment ? Dregging again ????, what do you reckon

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

All the points you have made do contribute to the poor fishing Col.
The only thing is imho, the fish were just not there in any numbers this year even before the snow melt.
Even the whiting didnt show up in the numbers they have the previous years.
We have had 3 good years and now we are going to suffer for the next 2.
The first sign would be lotts of small codling coming into the river, but alas even they were few and far between.
All doom & gloom at the moment, Never mind soon be christmas >:)

Snagger

w

Post by Snagger »

Hi all,

if the sprats are in already then the cod season has ended I recon, not

that it ever really started this year :( :( :( .

As for the melt water and the mixing, may be a problem but I would think that

the melt water will cause a drop in salinity levels which could be another

factor especially in the estuary's .

I also wonder how much the dredging has played a pert in this year's poor

fishing in the estuary, could there be toxins coming from this, could the

oxygen content be low due to it ????

Tim B-) B-) B-)

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

One thing that has to be considered also is why are the Sprat in so early.................................FOOD!!!!!!! IE 'Whitebait', such a feast for any Cod that could, might be around, ...........why would they want worm ???,

JOLI

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Tim i remember something ths skipper on the boat said on Saturday about the dredging. He was talking about the cockles dying because of all the toxins coming down river.
Last edited by redleg on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Redleg you have a point their...........JOLI

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i dont know about the melt water or the sprats but i do know that since the dredging started theres a lot of dirty slimy scum on the water when theres a bit of a chop on the water and it leaves a nasty stinking slim on the beach at allhallows at times that wasent ever there before the dredging started.the mussel beds and the small fish and shrimps etc are a lot less in the rock pools aswell. last year was terible the grandkids hardly went down on the beach because of it
steve

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

COLD -well this cold snap just suddenly came on us and with are shallow waters around are coast just didnt help as it would of drove those cod into deeper water + crabs etc would of bury them self down into the mud leaving no food for them to eat. MELT WATER- salt water and fresh dont mix well fishing walton with all that fresh water coming from thames, crouch, blackwater, colne + the water out let at holland + the orwell and stour that would push them well offshore to.
SPRARTS. well i wouldnt say they kill the fishing off just makes it hard to catch them but the sprarts may be a good thing due to making them codling into cod, with the sprats beening in it best using fish baits ie squid blueys and yting live baits, yting baits beening best as ive had some nice cod on them from the boats

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

just as i suspected .......... some nice well informed points being made! you cant beat a good debate lol.

alledgedly it takes days if not weeks for the melt water and saline to mix. staying in layers to start with which also pushes the fish into deeper waters. if my memory serves me well last year the cod being caught 'post' melt were all in 40/50 feet rather than the prefferd 25/35 feet. right in the shipping lane.

there has also being quite alot of fish coming out with a ghostly white discolouration....possibly toxins or an imbalance in the briny due to dredging i wouldnt wonder. shame we cant get one of those ministry types to join up and give us some technical info

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

last year when me and a mate set a long line out near the north eagle buoy and the cod we court were that white in colour i had to look twice at them, i fort it may be due to the depth of water they were in 12ft or under . ive had a few disfigured cod last year of the boat 3 from clacton and 2 from felixstowe and the year b4 that had cod with big red lump on they body when flitted them the lump when right though the meat to the back bone

Snagger

cod

Post by Snagger »

that don't sound good at all West, there must be a way we can find out

more about this, anyone know where to look regarding these issues?

Tim B-)

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

boyds

Post by tinny »

Hi chaps just read this reort and it dont look good for the estuary i wont say any more but be warned this link will not put a smile on yer face

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2010/02/18 ... -concerns/

martin

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi martin great bit of info mate makes grim reading though .it just makes me wonder if those in charge so to speek really give a hoot about the thames ,its taken years for it to be one of the cleanest estuarys and a prolific breading and nursury ground now lets mess (edited by kopitecol) it up again seems to be the order of the day from them .had a quick look at other bits and bobs theres a lot more on the site about other uk sea harbours, ports etc
steve

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

YOIU

Post by tinny »

To be honest steve i have only read half of the first page .It really upsets (edited by kopitecol) when i read something like that .THE GOUVERNMENT HAS THE FRONT TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT HOW GREEN WE ALL NEED TO BE; AND ON THE OVER HAND THEY ARE DESSOMATING AN ENTIRE ECO SYSTEM AND I WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF IT;;;;;;REMINDS ME OF AN OLD ABBA TUNE MONEY MONEY MONEY i might read the rest of it when i get over being on the loosing boat on sat but at present am not in the mood

martin