Canvey sea wall report and a moan!!

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
lowz31

Canvey sea wall report and a moan!!

Post by lowz31 »

Fished behind thorney bay park today very wet and a bit blowy at times but managed to catch a few fish. Fished the last 2 hours of the flood and 2 1/2 hours of the ebb. bites came throughout the tide except at high water. finished with 12-15 whiting 3 of which will grace the plate. Now for the moan..... I found littered along the wall newspaper, squid boxes, bags beer cans and about 50+yds of shockleader. it looked like someone had emptied a skip along there. Why cant some anglers just take a carrier bag and put all discarded line, bait boxes etc in there and take it home?? a passer by did coment on the 'crap' that was left by 'US' anglers. I felt as if he was ranting at me and labelling myself a litterer. I did bag most of it up and dicard of it in a bin so why cant we all do this and respect our angling surroundings???? sorry for the rant but this does infuriate me.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi,

My 'home' beach is Dungeness and I too am often disgusted at the rubbish that some 'anglers' (and I use the term widely) leave behind them on the beach. As you say, line, shock leader, plastic bags, bottles, unused bait etc., etc, are just thrown down. I even see hooks which is totally unacceptable as kids also use the beaches. I always end up taking somebody else's rubbish away with me and disposing of it in a litter bin - but I shouldn't have to. So far, sea angling is free and access to most beaches is available to us anglers, but I can see a day when the few who despoil the beaches will ruin it for the many - sea angling will be licenced and access to beaches will be very much restricted.

Please leave the venues as you found them - or even cleaner!

Cheers, Geoff :D :D :D

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy »

no need to apologise for the rant - I am sure most users of this site share your frustration & anger at the thoughtless few that get all sea anglers tarred with the same brush.

There is no excusing littering the beach with newspaper, hooks, fishing line etc - it take no time at all to bag it up & bin it on the way home

dabhand
Regular
Regular

Post by dabhand »

i am totally with all you guys about this. it is disgusting and there is no need for it. lazyness, thats all it is, pure lazyness.
welldone on the fish mate

maddmick
Regular
Regular

Post by maddmick »

well done on the fish and the rubbish is a thing which is a problem at most venues through out the uk im afraid but good to see other responsable anglers picking up other peoples rubbish (edited by macer)

Gord

Post by Gord »

I couldn't agree more - i was on Walton pier a few weeks back and saw / heard a load of guys of the east forum (dont know them just recognised faces from photos / names).

They were acting like teenagers shouting and swearing at the top of their voices so all visitors to the pier had to listen to their inanities. I watched as they balled up empty worm papers and launched em into the sea, threw undersized fish around and left so much rubbish (edited by macer) stuffed into railings / under benches as if there was any doubt where it was all going to end up.

I couldnt believe that people committed to angling wouldnt be concerned about their environment or their image and it utterly ruined my day having to lsten to them and clear up after.

So rant away!

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

would like to comment that not all east forum fisherman are like that, myself dont use paper as i keep my worms in a fresh bucket so know that who you speak of wouldnt of been myself, i dont also do many day time tides up there so wouldnt be able to say who they were but iv been fishing on there with a good number of people from the east forum and not 1 of them is how you state as we've never chucked fish around only straight back in also if i get a nest on me reel the line goes straight in my box to be cut up and put in a bin,, so who it would be then only yourself knows,, as when i go up i always complain about the mess ,, even spoke to the manager to try and get bins put along the pier but it will never happen..

simon
ps im sure this is steve as iv been fishing with you along holland haven

Snagger

walton pier

Post by Snagger »

Hi all,

I also fish the pier a lot, mostly at night, but on occasion daytime, normally 3

or 4 of us, I must admit that me and Aston do have a bit of banter between us

most of the time but keep it down when there are other people about none of

us litter and always take our rubbish with us when we leave, I personally am known

for the odd birdy which is why I carry 5 reels with me and use 2 rods and on

the odd occasion that I have re-spooled whilst fishing all the old line comes

home with me.

I have not yet seen anyone being stupid with under size fish and do not

condone this.

With regards to the worm newspaper balls being thrown in the water, this

is also something I have not seen any of us do, But when you consider the

fact that newspaper is biodegradable, the only problem I would think this

to cause would be if every angler in the country was to do the same, the

volumetric measure of this mountain of newspaper balls could cause sea

levels to rise to such an extent that large areas of Calais could be flooded,

now I ask myself weather or not this would be a bad thing as, when all is

said and done, they are French =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Keepem Tight guy's,

Tim B-) B-) B-)

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Please note this is not aimed at "anyone in particular" that has posted on this thread so far however..................

Just a gentle reminder to all before you post your replies to this thread.

Whilst debating and discussion is fine, SF.Org will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, swearing including abbreviated swear words, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.

Both Kopite and I will be paying very close attention to this thread from now on.

Cheers macer :D

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Gort,..........................KLAATU....BARADA.......NICKTO, Name and shame them............JOLI.

Aston you are quite correct more should be invested in pier facilities

Snagger

walton pier

Post by Snagger »

Well said Aston I couldn't agree more.

It seems to be the same where ever you go, so many people leaving there

rubbish for others to pick up.

I think its more often than not that people leave there rubbish judging by the

amount of it you see, you know the old saying, if you can't beat them join

them, well I aint giona join them but wouldn't mind beating them LMAO

Tim B-) B-) B-)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi i dont dout you boys at all as i have never fished walton pier but no bins at all surely it,s not only fishermen /women that use the pier .but then again it,s easyer to blame the fishermen/women as normal
steve

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

ducker

canvey point moan

Post by ducker »

hi gord

just read your moanon the forum i dis agree with most of the thing you say

facts are a big issue

fact1 useing(edit macer)please read again has nothing to do with swearing
walton pier only writingswear words on posts

fact2 i roll up news paper and throw it into the never heard of paper mashy
fact3 i am a season ticket holder it doesant say any thing about swearing
only no 12v battery gas cylnder and no parifinlights
fact4 photes you have seen on the east forum and no names for the last year all fish the charity leauge and are the chaps that have responded

ducker