cod hunt on the carp diem 24th oct

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

cod hunt on the carp diem 24th oct

Post by aston74 »

went out with gregwwr and 3 others on bobs boat the carp diem yesterday to see if the cod have arrived
we set off at about 7.30, steamed out for about 90 minutes to the chosen mark
we stayed there and we were catching loads of whiting, some were clonkers too and reasonable doggies but no cod :(( :((
we stayed there for about 3 hours, so after that we decided to move back inshore a bit....a lot infact.......we anchored about midway between canvey and the dark side
we caught more of the same right up untill it was time to come back to the berth
bob asked us to reel in whilst he bought up the anchor......i had the tiniest of taps and it felt like i was dragging up a bag of potatoes, got it to the surface and there it was........................the most anorexic cod you have ever seen in your life !!!!!!!!!!!
quite a sizable fish but soooooooooooo skinny, bones sticking out everywhere
it probably only weighed 3 lbs, but it was the size of a well fed 6 or 7 pounder....greg took a pic and i am sure he will post it later

skinny fish was quickly unhooked and returned to the sea to hopefully fatten up till the next time we meet

all in all, a very fun day and my first sixed cod od the winter, just a shame he has been on hunger strike

also tried out my new penn 545 multiplier, and it works like a dream
6-1 retrieve ratio is superb, sadly no level wind but i will get used to it i am sure

theshadow

Post by theshadow »

Nice one Roy..looking forward to the photos

ducker

boat trip

Post by ducker »

hi roy
well done that man sounds like agood trip again on the boat shame about skinny cod but a good day had by all penns are good reels i have 4 off them

ducker

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi lee and leonardo
yes it was a fun day
as i said before, my new penn 545 is superb...a great boat reel.
see you both at deal for the comp
i got my visa for kent yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

griegwwr
Regular
Regular

cod

Post by griegwwr »

another great day out in the carpe diem even got the skipper to chug back late cos he knows i moan when i have to go home lol he was not impressed that it was dark on the way back lol :D. glad to see old faces and had the urge to chuck aston in when he landed the only cod of the day and won the tote on the last of the real ins grrrrrrrr :-O lol well done mate here,s your pick of glory and dont he look smug init. lots of nice size whiting came out by all looking forward already to the next trip.

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Great report & picture guys, at least you got out and had a go.....

Cheers macer :D

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

is it me or are there more ugly cod than bass ..... i seem to catch good looking bass but every now and then a mutant cod....???

Snagger

boat

Post by Snagger »

great report, and nice skinny Cod Roy well done mate, I must say i have yet to see you catch 1 lmao

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

well done roy and greg on what sounded like a great day at sea

simon

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

A Cod is a Cod don't matter if its 'skinny' or what !!!!!!!!!!!I assume you were fishing 'The middle gound' in the past i've caught some strange looking fish ie Codling / whiting in that area, don't know if its a coincidence or what................................I remenber a few years back caught a Whiting there (at this time of the year) which some 'SICKIE TWISTED GIT' must of pulled out previously and fastened a rubber band around the area which you could call the neck of the fish..................result....a normal head with a distorted ultra thin body,
makes you wonder what makes someone tick to do this sort of thing ~X( .

JOLI