Live baiting off southend

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover »

Sea Angler or TSF printed an article using that technique. A 1/0 baited hook with a second big hook, not a treble, on a 6 inch line attached to it. Of course it worked for them, it always does.
I have tried it with no success, and to be honest I didn't feel that good about myself so doubt I would bother again.
I try to be as respectful of my catches (?) as I can and acknowledge the stress I'm causing but try to keep it as minimal as possible.
One of those things you have to find your own "happy" place I guess.
I regard it as only at matter of time before being confronted by an "anti" everything somebody, but I'll deal with that when it happens.
Live baiting is illegal in Norway, although can't see how it could possibly be enforced
Regards to all
Martin

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

k

Post by tinny »

I for one have never used a fish for live bait .but when i am fishing for cod using pennel rigs and recieve the tell tale rattle of a whitting bite i see no harm in leaving it their fot 5 or so minutes for a cod to take interest in .but i would not bother to bring a fish to shore just to throw it out again causing further distress and pain than need be. i used to go hunting with an air rifle and was taught only to take a shoot if you could take a clean instant kill theirs nothing to be gained by wounding an animal for it to crawl off and die in pain sorry to bang on but just because we cannot see a fish when it is returned to the sea does not make us any less responsible for that creatures life.i am not against live baiting as long as it is done with utmost care.go down the admiralty pier in summer and see how some so called anglers handle and treat the fish they catch? it is truely shocking .if the general public saw this behaviour i think we would have a hard time justifying our great sport to the masses .like most things it is far easier to promote inapropriate behaviour than to show most of us are responsible considerate anglers i am not having a go at anyone just concerned about how anglers can be percieved

tight lines to all

martin

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi all just thought id put my bit to this i have never used live fish bait for sea fishing but as some of you may have seen in some of my other posts i was an avid pike fisherman at one time and quite oftern used live fish bait at certain lakes i say at certain lakes cos i found that they worked best but in other cases only a dead bait would catch so could this not be the same for sea fishing ,different marks catching better on live fish bait and others catching better on dead fish bait . not meaning any offence to anybody cos as has been said everybody to there own and thats how it should be but those that say not wanting to coause strees or needless suffering to the fish by useing it as a live bait ,i wounder how many of you use peeler crabs or hermit crabs and pull there legs off and rip the sheel of when there still alive so you can use them as bait,yes i know there dead by the time there hooked but there not at the time of pulling them to bits
steve

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover »

I've met a few people in to hunting. I guess it' more of a niche sport than sea fishing, but they all seem to have huge respect for the environment and the animals. I personally couldn't do it, I'm a towny and think meat comes in cellpohane and plastic trays. Like lots of people I have come distant from food and to be honest it's a bit embarrassing really. Eva's parents keep chickens, ducks, turkeys and rabbits for food as my father did and I have lots of respect for them. Somehow imagine their animals are treated a little better than ol' Bernard Matthew's.
Have to agree with Tinny though, I've seen some pretty poor treatment of fish but you can only hope this is ignorance and not intent.
Sometimes think the pay to fish places could do more to educate. As you probably know I fish Samphire regularly. I always feal the fishing ticket should be given with a handout of the fish likely to be caught with pictures and the MLS. Ok some people will disregard it, but maybe some might learn.
I've taken undersize fish when I started, wasn't til later I realised not to do so.
As "caught quite alot " said about the crabs, I wasn't sure about that either. Although once I was catching smoothounds on them seemed less concerned!
But where do you stop, live worms. I doubt the frozen baits get given the last rights before they are despatched either. Use lures I guess, but not really for me.
I do wonder why I fish sometimes, probably not as much as my mates who see me come home empty handed time after time. I just know I like it and really hope I don't start to feel guilty for enjoying it.
I smoke and drink so I'm already public enemy no1 so I hope my chosen sport doesn't make me feel the same way

Who'd a thought a live bait question could provoke such a debate!

tinny
Occasional
Occasional

v

Post by tinny »

the theory of evolution makes a good point in as much as all animals on earth live in fear of starving or being eaten.and in a state of constant stress the only exception being man. not including the starving people in the world i am speaking generally here/ so on reflection the stress we cause them i would imagine would not be any different form the daily routine of being hunted by other predators.but we as highly evolved creatures ?????obviosly i am not talking about the estuary boys here??? should take as much care and consideration as poss as for dismantaling crabs and impalling worms i am told they thouroughly enjoy it ...and who am i to argue???

tight lines

martin

Snagger

Live Baiting

Post by Snagger »

Hi all,

In the 90's I used to catch pouting of about 2-3 inches long form just down the

side of Southend Pier, by the life boat station, put them in my bucket with

battery operated aerator then fish in amongst the burnt out timbers of the Pier

for Bass, I had 1 of 3lb and 1 of 4.5lb, also I would take live hardback shore

crabs and have caught many Ballen Wrasse up 3lb.

I think it is a matter of choice, I personally feel live baiting can pay

dividends and ma happy to do this,

Tim B-)

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

as a lot of people have said it becomes each to there own as we'll all have diffrent views, myself dont do live baiting from the shore but if it was the way to catch fish from a boat then im all in, i can see that some people might add that the fish gets put under more stress but if a small fish takes your bait while its hanging on its under stress anyway,, then once you reel it in you do the worst thing to do to a fish and that is handle it now thats stress as are hot hands put them into shock,, look at it like this if some1 throws cold water at you then you take a few sharp breaths,, same as a fish but the other way round,,

when you use squid or mackeral do you think about if that was caught without stress??? because we dont see how its caught you turn a blind eye just like we do to the meat in a supermarket ,, we see it in a packet and dont think about how it was treated ya jut think do i want mash and gravey with it,, a number of us anglers go fishing to relive stress as it relaxing , and no matter which way the angler choses to fish we'lll do what ever it takes to return home to say we caught something. as if a little wightin/pounting takes your bait and dont show a bite in laymens terms your livebaiting so if your caught a nice fish would you throw it back and say didnt want that cause i caught that on a livebait?? very much doubt it as you'll be happy to have caught it ,, good luck to each and all

simon

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy »

my original post certainly caused a lot of interesting debate :)

however back to the original question ;)

assuming I/we are happy to use live bait, is it actually worth it anywhere off the Southend beaches or is the likelhod of catching something big enough to take a live bait so small that I'd be wasting my time?

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

here are my thoughts/comments..........

do cod (over say 2lb) ever get caught of the beaches in southend?
do bass over the same sort of weight ever get dragged in as well?

if the answer is yes to either question then it is certainly worth a try....Good luck!

bluelion
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bluelion »

ihave killed far more fish accidently deep hooking them sea fishing than i have ever used as live baits freshwater fishing.....live baiting is unusal in lakes nowdays,,,,