Live baiting off southend

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Live baiting off southend

Post by stillsy »

Having caught so many pin whiting this evening I was tempted to try & use one or two as live bait.

Didn't bother in the end as felt likelhood of anything big enough to take them being there was very small

ANyone had success with this?

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff »

Hi Stillsy,

I recently watched a DVD about cod fishing at Dungeness. One of the anglers had a pennell rig, but the top hook was a treble. I think the idea was to bait the bottom hook, cast out and wait for the inevitable whiting to hook itself - then use it as live bait, hopefully catching a large cod or bass on the treble.
Last time I fished Dungeness I was plagued with whiting and, having caught a very small one, I left it on as live bait. I didn't catch anything (and didn't have much time left), but then it was about 2 weeks ago and there weren't many cod about anyway.
But I don't see why it wouldn't work. Anybody else got any idea?
Cheers, Geoff

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I'm not keen on the idea of live baiting. I know it's the norm in coarse fishing and I know that others may have a different view. I read how we should impart as little stress to fish as possible and return as many possible. The amount of stress imparted to a fish used in live bait is unimaginable. I for one wouldn't do it but that is not to say others shouldn't or to imply that I am telling you how to fish.

Each to his own

I know my post may be controversial but if you reply lets have a serious debate on the subject without any animosity flying around as I am keen to find out what others think on the subject.

I hope the Mods keep an eye on this one

Cheers
keith :D :D

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

i have tried it a few times in the past to no avail, so i dont bother anymore, the way i did it was to tie the tiddler on with bait lakky, but never caught anything probably due to the fact that there were zillions of other tiddlers about so why would a big fish bother with mine

each to their own thought, there are probably others that swear by livebaiting, i can imagine it works well when targeting big bass

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

rabbi's comments duly noted lol.

i went out recently on the brighton diver and had a live baiting session. although we were fishing for bass with mackeral as livebait the principle is exactly the same, hunting big predatory fish. Much care was taken to preserve the livebait in extremely good order, albeit for selfish purposes (and i have to say with no consideration for the bait.) the mackeral were kept in fresh clean sea water and those that were blooded or ailing not allowed in with the good ones to avoid pollution. a simple sliding rig with a treble at the end was employed (weight attached via an elastic band of all things!! to aid a rotten bottom setup). The treble was placed through the nose of the bait fish with the line facing forward, this is very important as bass aproach, disable and swollow from the head end (unlike cod which seems to prefer to attack from the rear). up untill this day i had never had any success with livebaiting, although i have seen in principle that it works. How many of you have had or seen half a whiting come on board when a bigger fish has struck it on retrieve?........ any way back to the bass.....The results were staggering!! i watched two commercial line angling fisherman bag twenty bass in around an hour! i had one at three pounds but others on the boat bagged to 10lb plus.
Now here's your answer aston.....the reason your baitfish will be more suceptable to a strike is
a. your fish isnt as strong as the others due to its tiredness through capture.
b. its mobility is severely restricted owing to the treble, leader etc hanging from its chops.

livebaiting in my opinion is a good and acceptable way to stalk big predatory fish.....it works. as regards to ethics (purely a personal opinion) i have no qualms in doing this, we have done it for years and if the welfare of fish is that much of an issue to your morals you would not be fishing in the first place. all fish suffer distress whilst being caught....fact. i consider some species like mackeral, herring and whiting to be in abundance so what harm can one or two livebaited fish do to the whole eco debate.

Just a bit of background on me........i was a gamekeepers son till twelve or thirteen and have shot and fished in various forms all my life. the hunter is instilled in me, i know no other way. i make no apologies for that and actually would argue that due to my constant input into the 'wild' i will have contributed more to nature and the dsyfunctional countryside than most. sadly things are not what they once were....my advice would be to all, enjoy livebaiting while you still can, before the 'nay' sayers and 'nimby's get there long knives out on your sport!

you wait one day they wil go after the golfers........dessicrating the countryside? plastic balls in rivers? squirells getting choked? .......you know it makes sense lol!!!!!

tight lines one and all.

(ps rabbi.........much respect and definately no personal offence intended).

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Hear what you are saying BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Why does everyone have to bring Golfers into the argument ?????, can't understand it................JOLI

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

None Taken my mate. This is what I intended (A Good debate so as to get all points of view). No matter what side of the fence your on it can only help to get the point of view of others.

Wish there were more people like yourself who can argue their point without SHOUTING!!! lol :D :D >:) >:) >:)
Cheers
keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

lol jolli..........besides i feel sorry for the worms!!! dug up, wrapped in tabliod newspaper or worse still the canvey times, stuffed up a hook then proppeled at mac.1 into the briny only to drown or get eaten by some nasty mitten crab!!!

no chance of a cod scoffing in the thames!!

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Yes I quite agree but getting back to GOLFERS...............???? who in their right mind would use these for bait ...........dead or alive???????,.......JOLI

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm golfers as bait.
i like your angle
is there a golf course near walton pier ?????
what bait is best to catch a golfer ??????
and where can i get an industrial size roll of bait lakky :D :D :D :D

storing them is easy
put them in a big box with a copy of golfers monthly.....they should stay fresh for hours :D :D :D

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

thank you rabbi...........

jolli......it was a typo, i meant goffers!

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Debate is healthy.................'ROCK ON'........................JOLI :D :D :D

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy »

original post wasn't meant to initiate a serious debate though I must agree with kopitecol's sentiments.

The only issue I have with live baiting is that it always strikes me as contradictory to our usual support of returning small fish. I know live bait doesn't end up on a plate but it still is in effect being "taken". That said all small fish run the risk of being a bigger fishes supper

The original post was on a more practical angle i.e. if I did use some of the smaller whiting as live bait would I be wasting my time or might there be something big enough to take suh a bait 50yds off Thorpe Bay?

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Be careful not all 'Goffers' are passive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOLI :D

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

i think the nfsa size limit on whiting/pouting is relatively small anyway so you would not fall foul. contrary to my comments re-healthy mackeral, most of the fish i have ever used for livebaiting cod have been 'poorly', ie gut hooked or other similar retrieve issues.