Nets at Grays

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Nets at Grays

Post by redleg »

Has anyone else seen the fyke nets out on the gravel.?
I have seen the owner of there nets picking out small (undersized) bass & flat fish,I dont know if this is legal or not but! as i see it he is taking our future stocks of fish.

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 »

hi mate
i am sure it aint legal if undersize
dunno who you would report it to either
how far out are they situated

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi redleg it dont sound right to me either as who to report it to i would say it,s the environment agency on 08708-506506 or there emergency no 0800-807060 if it,s not them i would think they would no who hope this is of help and please let us know how you get on
steve

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

ministry or agriculture farming and fisheries? think they are based at burnham on crouch.

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Talking to a Guy yesterday and he mentioned the netting, apparently they are from the Enviroment Agency and are perfectly legal and above board however he thought that the individual wasn't very competent at his job and was killing a lot of undersize fish though his neglect !!!!!!!!!!!and they are supposed to be helping the fishing stocks !!!!!!!!!!!!.................................................. in my opinion it has something to do with the dredgging further up the river, I noticed @ high water yesterday the water was full of 'DRIFTING SEDIMENT'.

JOLI

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Joli
mmm? So the Enviroment Agency are employing non uk labour to do this work.
I would have thought they would have just taken samples of fish species, and not 3 whole carrier bags full of undersized bass & flatfish?

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Hear what you are saying Redleg, I'm only repeating what the Chap told me I think that it could be a little 'SUS' taking into account the little man' was dumping the fish into the drink without examining them ?????????, does seem a little strange but as I've said just repeating what he told me 'Chinese wispers'and all that..................make of it what you will if you get my drift.

JOLI

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi redleg iv just spoken to the envirroment agency and it ,s not them ,there going to ring me back as they are prety sure it not legal so could you tell me how big do you think the nets were give me a ring on 07773 -058094 i havent mentioned any names but my own to them
cheers steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

have sent you a pm redleg
steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i have had a call from the kent and essex sea fishing agency and there going to send officers th investigate the nets
steve

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

good work lads,

Its bad enough this far up the Estuary trying to catch without the illigal nets taking anything and everything it their path

Cabrat

redleg
Occasional
Occasional

Post by redleg »

Dave, all the credit should go to Steve.
As he was the one that called the EA

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

Nice one Steve

It helps us all if we can stop these illigal netters.

Cabrat

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

cabrat couldnt catch if he had a net lmao

well done steve for chasing it up
and redleg (paul) for pointing it out

simon

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User