NEAR LONDON BRIDGE

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
mr_fishy

NEAR LONDON BRIDGE

Post by mr_fishy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:29 pm

HI ALL HOPE THIS YEAR HAS STARTED OUT WITH GREAT RESULTS...
IM THINKING OF HEADING THE NORTH SIDE OF THE THAMES NEAR THE LONDON BRIDGE SIDE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAS FISHED THERE BEFOR, WOULD ANY ONE PLEAS EADVISE ME FOR THE LOCATIONS AND ADVICE ON WHAT TO EXPECT :-/ .
THANK YOU ALL FOR READING MY MESSAGE AND TAKE CARE
:) :) :) :) :D :) :) :) :)

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

around london bridge? not a great deal really. you do get eels & small flounders, plus the occasional schoolie bass, but not a lot.

strangely enough, theres more coarse fish up there these days & its possible to catch dace on maggots, with the odd bream & stray carp.

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm

hello mate if fishing up london could be worth checking if its out of season... not 100% sure but was told once the london side of the thames barrier is subject to the river close season, mid march to mid june and the kent side of the barrier is all year round.... hope im wrong :-S also check if a license is required....

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:54 pm

hi jay,
you only need a rod licence above the thames barrier if you are deliberately targeting coarse fish. if you were to fish with tackle/rigs/bait that is targeted towards seafish, then you are fine.

so, 3 hooks & ragworm is fine, you will still get the odd coarse fish but because its an accidental capture & you return it straight away its ok.
a quiver-tip rod & maggots for the smelt & flatties will probably get your collar felt by the EA guys......

at least thats how the EA bailiff put it to me!! :-S

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:30 pm

brian_woolsey wrote:hi jay,
you only need a rod licence above the thames barrier if you are deliberately targeting coarse fish. if you were to fish with tackle/rigs/bait that is targeted towards seafish, then you are fine.

so, 3 hooks & ragworm is fine, you will still get the odd coarse fish but because its an accidental capture & you return it straight away its ok.
a quiver-tip rod & maggots for the smelt & flatties will probably get your collar felt by the EA guys......

at least thats how the EA bailiff put it to me!! :-S
thats good to know mate as the sole, bass an mullet often travel well up from the barrier.. thats opened some more early season options :D
jay

mentalextra

Post by mentalextra » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:43 am

I'd often wondered if there was anything worth looking at in St Katherines dock. So many sea fisherman work in London and walk down to the river at lunch and wish they'd brought a travel rod with them! :D

mentalextra

Post by mentalextra » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:31 pm

I used to work at Embankment Place and did the same thing when I had the chance. A work colleague and I would often ponder on doing a bit at lunch but it was dragging the tackle in on the tube that was the problem.

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 pm

st.katherines dock was the place bob nudd did a video years ago all about pole fishing for skimmers & other coarse fish! another place like that is the docks around canary wharf, you could be catching smelt, flatties & even shad, whilst a fella 30 yards along would be catching roach & bream.
even down at the royal albert docks at city airport i used to catch bass in between the big perch!
chelsea embankment is another place where you can get a mix of sea & coarse fish, everything from flatties to 30lb carp!

pompeysteve

Royal Docks and surrounds

Post by pompeysteve » Fri May 21, 2010 11:12 am

I was walking about near the lock entrance to the Royal Docks ( Gallions Point Marina) and came across a few blokes fishing, they had some flouders and a mullet taken straight from the approach to the lock. All caught on earth worms! They told me they expected to catch a few bass as the tide turned, but out in the river, casting off the end of the small pier/jetty thats there, for this they had some frozen crab and lug worm.

Also I have been told ( but never actually seen!) that there are some sizable bass in the dock itself, again told but never seen that they can be caught on bread, as they used to large quanities of bread being chucked in the dock by people feeding the swans. I tried checked if you could fish in the dock as its above the barrier, not completely sure but I think you need to be a member of the docks own fishing club.

I am going to try my hand off the north bank around the seaward side of the barrier and maybe on the southbank over near the woolwich ferry. If any good I will let you know

Steve [/url]

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Royal Docks and surrounds

Post by macer » Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 pm

pompeysteve wrote:I was walking about near the lock entrance to the Royal Docks ( Gallions Point Marina) and came across a few blokes fishing, they had some flouders and a mullet taken straight from the approach to the lock. All caught on earth worms! They told me they expected to catch a few bass as the tide turned, but out in the river, casting off the end of the small pier/jetty thats there, for this they had some frozen crab and lug worm.

Also I have been told ( but never actually seen!) that there are some sizable bass in the dock itself, again told but never seen that they can be caught on bread, as they used to large quanities of bread being chucked in the dock by people feeding the swans. I tried checked if you could fish in the dock as its above the barrier, not completely sure but I think you need to be a member of the docks own fishing club.

I am going to try my hand off the north bank around the seaward side of the barrier and maybe on the southbank over near the woolwich ferry. If any good I will let you know

Steve [/url]
A very warm welcome to the site Steve >:D<

Good luck and let us know how you get on good or bad!!!

Cheers macer :D

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey » Fri May 21, 2010 6:44 pm

I dont know for sure now, but the royal albert dock used to come under the isle of dogs ac ticket, they were all part of the docklands consortium ticket.
we used to catch plenty of bass from that dock before they did all the building of houses, i think access is restricted now.
the going method back then was to float fish live shrimp down the edge, anything from 10-20ft deep. you could collect the shrimps from various tyres that were hanging from chains as fenders along the wall.
spinning also worked occasionally.

i`ll never forget some old fella telling me that he`d seen a monster, a real massive fish bow-waving across the surface chasing something all morning.
after 3 planes had come in to land at the city airport one of the jet-planes came in to land & roughly 30 seconds later you could hear the air rushing as the turbulance it caused started a vortex rushing across the dock surface!!
"there he is!!" shouted this old boy! "cast at him, go on!!"

i never had the heart to tell him................. :((