'The Sun' 22/01/10

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
emenwhu

'The Sun' 22/01/10

Post by emenwhu »

The article on page 8. All about the decline in the the Thames of the wonderful Eel. Not just the Thames, but apparently all over Europe. Also makes mention of the 125 species that can be found in the river, guess i need to make my 2010 target list a little longer. Must admit, only had 3 eels out on the jetty last year, just considered i was doing something wrong as the stories i was given as a kid was that you couldn't avoid catching the blighters. Be a real shame to see these go as they have become part of our heritage in this corner of the country.

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

would be very interested to see the other 124 species on a list...currently for me my thames catch list is.......whiting, pouting, poor cod?, codling, eels, bass, skate, dab, plaice, flounder, sole, smelt (yes smelt!!!) dogfish!! hopefully not missed ought....

as for the demise of the eels.......it will be very sad although they are not overly welcome on my rigs lol ;)

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

I manage a Big Blank most times i fish does that count as a species lol

Cabbus

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

if blanking counts as a species then im a great fisherman ive had loads of them
steve

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

if blanking counts as a species then im a great fisherman ive had loads of them
steve

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Apparently the eels got a parasitic disease, but there are signs that they are beginning to recover - I actually caught a few in our harbour recently whereas in the previous 5 years I haven't had one at all.

brian_woolsey

Post by brian_woolsey »

that list of 125 species includes all the coarse fish & game fish too,
plus the mini-species that you`re unlikely to catch on rod & line.

jay180
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by jay180 »

www.thamesweb.com/page.php?page_id=57&topic_id=8 list of thames species, if link dont work google search, thames fish species list, its headed thamesweb: fish species

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

well done on that jay...........few to go yet then lol. it says since 1964, so wonder what the 2010 list would like like as a stand alone list.

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

i have no reason to contest the accuracy of your information reelwizard......and trust it to be true. of late we seem to be getting more and more in depth info on here and i find it very usefull. thanks fo rtaking the time gents. >:D<

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

reel_wizard wrote:We're at the mercy of the scientists with a lot of the info and no doubt some of the info will change as the scientists change their mind.

The one thing that is certain (if like me you can remember far enough back to remember the times when you couldn't help but catch eels) is that the eel is in dire straights and if it were to disappear then it would be a great loss. A big eel puts up a good scrap and I dare say that like me, a great many anglers have been glad of a few eels to catch when there has been nothing else about.
I agree it would be a great shame if they were to disappear, they give a good scrap and i do enjoy catching them :(

Cheers macer :D

CodCrazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by CodCrazy »

a friend of mine goes eel fishing in the freshwater side of the thames,
they reckon that all the melt water and rain weve had has caused the eels to overflow ditches lakes and things and ultimatly back into the thames,

reckons its been great catching them so far with fish to 3lb, wonder if there running seaward to spawn :-/

my species list for the thames (dont forget i used a net not my rods lol although they can be caught by rod and line and have been)

Bass Poor Cod Dabs
Cod Tub Gurnard Flounder
Thornback Ray Red Gurnard Lemon Sole
Blonde Ray Mullet (thin, thick lipped, golden grey and red)
Stingray Mackeral (both types)
Pouting Plaice Hake
Whiting Dover Sole Monkfish/Anglerfish
Herring Smoothound both types Tope
John Dory Ray's Bream Black Bream
Eels Ling Pipefish

The list can go on, but just goes to show what is possible to catch in our estuary

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

show off!!! lol............i would love to catch a black bream in the thames. only caught them on the south coast. in many numbers shane? and what sort of conditions?

when i was a lad i used to fish the inlets and fleets on tollesbury marshes, adjacent to the blackwater. we had an eel comp down there one night. i have never seen so many eels!!! and all around three lbs....... it also used to be netted regular. so i suppose on the one breed theory that kinda knocks a huge hole in regeneration stock!!

great post again >:D<