where are all the fish gone to???

Please only post topics related to fishing the Thames Estuary in this forum only.
canveycod2010

where are all the fish gone to???

Post by canveycod2010 »

any one been catching lately as heard about too much freshwater in the sea and too many sprats

raydo123

Post by raydo123 »

I am going for a quicky today on the West Leigh Middle.. I have heard it is dire but there is always hope!
I went out last week and between 10 quality anglers we managed only 3 fish...
My mate who runs a trawler has been catching sprat by the tons.. but he tells me they are begining to thin out.
Last year this happened and we still managed cod throughout the sprat season.. this year it went dead the first heavy frost.. The sudden change in temperature seems to effect the fishing more than it is generally thought. Lets hope the slight milder weather will help
ray

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Not unusual to have the fish disappear at this time of year. In my view water temperatures near the coast drop and the fish don't want to know - especially in the last couple of weeks. This is why a lot of guys put their rods away until March. However if it warms up a bit I think I will try for Dabs with small hooks and lug bait - they like to come in on rising tides near sand banks if the water is not too cold.

raydo123

Post by raydo123 »

Didnt get out as hoped.. but spoke to trawlermen and they say sprats are now going.
Dabs were plentiful and very big a fews weeks ago- I dont target them as I am a dedicated cod man but we were getting them on whole squid on 6 O hooks!
I caught 8 in a row on a 3 hook flapper on the low water on the South side.. So may be worth scaling down and going for them this weekend.
Ray

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy »

Hi Ray,

where do you mean by south side and west leigh middle? be great if dabs are about, very tasty supper :)